10

i'll be right there, right there
(stop) just love | us the duo

Scott Hoying's POV (a/n::
this chapter is a little bit jumbled up lmao)

I don't think I've ever been this worried in my entire life. He was fine twenty minutes ago and now he's out cold. Kirstin better get here soon, I thought. I felt like I might've passed out.

"He'll be fine," Kate smiled. Kirstin brought her along.

"It's just the shock of his body from his power, that's all," Kirstin reassured. "What?" I stared at her. "Are you sure? Kirstin, don't lie to me. Has this even happened before? Please don't lie," I begged. Kirstin pursed her lips, glancing to an unconscious Mitch. "Okay... yes, it was the shock, and that's what got him sick, but... Scott, don't blame yourself — it's only because you now have the same power and—"

"I did this to him?" I said, barely above a whisper.

"No! You didn't," Kate immediately stated. "It wasn't you, Scott. I think this was gonna happen anyways," she said. I stared at her, "Why?"

"Because if it wasn't you that had them, then someone else would've, and then we wouldn't have been able to help him."

"How could I possibly help him?" I inquired in disbelief. She was about to speak before she shut her mouth sheepishly. "You need to abandon your power."

"I do?" I furrowed my eyebrows. "It's the only way to help him. I know, it's weird," Kirstin sighed, placing a hand on my shoulder despite her short height. "Can you do th—"

"Yes. Anything," I instantaneously repied before she even got the question out of her mouth. "Please. How do I abandon them?"

"We have to wait for Kevin to get here," Kate explained. "He'll be able to get rid of them for you."

Nine hours. Then Mitch will be okay. Breathe in, breathe out. Calm down, Scott. Relax.

Nine hours.

Nine.

***

It was like I was counting the hours down. Or the minutes. Maybe the seconds. All I know is that it's been five hours. I think. Kirstin and Kate were tired. Everyone was. I refused to sleep, but I couldn't have, whether I wanted to or not. I couldn't bare the thought of sleep when Mitch was not okay.

God, what has he done to me?

"He'll be okay."

"Scott, it's fine."

None of their words comforted me.

"You need to sleep soon."

I couldn't have.

"You have to sleep sometime."

No I don't.

Mitch never moved. He was still, besides the rare occasion of his chest heaving up and down slowly and barely. When Kate and Kirstin left the room, I always thought I'd break down. Nope. I never did.

So when the door to the cabin was being knocked on, and I saw two figures outside of the door, my heart thumped out of my chest. I was contemplating jumping out of the room and answering the door myself to hurry everyone up, but I didn't want to leave Mitch. Luckily, though, Kirstin answered it from what I heard, more than likely revealing Avi and Kevin.