Chapter 15. Predator and prey.

The first beasts to be released against Sel were big tiger-like animals with two heads and ridged spines. There was a large pack of them, running out of their confinement and circling around the greyskin. The wanted to hunt down their prey together, hoping to not sustain any injuries and to tear into the tasty flesh of a tasty looking human.

The announcer shouted something about the animals, but Sel didn't pay him any mind, simply waiting for the beasts to come. With fel energy around him being absorbed, his powers were getting restored rather quickly, making him regain his strength.

Within the pack was a larger beast with longer fur and twin tails. His gaze was heavy and his presence dominant. A leader of the pack looked at the small opponent before his mighty pack and let out a growl, saying 'You will be our food'.

After a minute of them circling around Sel, the leader roared, marking the start of the hunt.

The beasts were stronger than demons and way more agile. They also had impeccable instincts and team work, leaping at Sel with three or four at the same time, hoping to claw out his face. He didn't stand still though, instead diving under a single beast and trying to slash the exposed stomach. He however was hit by another beast, making him miss and only leave a shallow cut, while he now had four gashes across his back.

Not wanting to get too exposed near the animals, he quickly jumped away, while trying to cut the annoying cats. His strikes didn't reach them once, them being too agile and swift. Sel couldn't reach them in midair.

Over a couple of minutes Sel made a number of attempts to gut one of the beasts, but each time he fell short, with another beast making him falter. His own torso now had a number of cuts, blood flowing down, painting his grey skin black.

After a few futile attacks, Sel decided to change his tactics. He was annoyed that some simple beasts posed such a threat, but the fact that they didn't rely on weapons, but instead their own power and instinct made them superiors to most demons. So, Sel sheathed his weapons and instead let out a bit of magic.

Around his hands appear black tendrils, like two whips ready to dish out some punishment. They didn't just drop down, they were moving around as if they were alive. When Sel spun them around, they followed his will and moved around the way he wanted them to.

The demon lord expected the greyskin to be able to do magic after his display of power with huntress, but seeing such mastery over the scourge, making it condense into such a powerful form was a surprise. The crowd also let out excited yells, amazed at the great swordsmen who could also wield magic.

With the noise around him getting louder, Sel began to spin around his new weapons. He used these tendrils previously with his slaves, but for a different purpose from fighting.

Extending the black whip, he threw it towards one of the cats, he entangled it and dragged it closer to him. It tried thrashing around, but it was incapable of ripping the immaterial weapon, struggling to no avail. When it was within striking range, Sel solidified miasma around his other hand and pierced the beast with a solid black blade, extending from his hand.

The beast let out a shriek of pain, before being devoured by the black substance. The demon didn't want to make his mastery over the fel power too obvious, he didn't simply rip whatever little power was inside, not wanting to expose his unique ability.

This was the first blow to the pack, making the leader growl menacingly. It was rare for him to loose a member of their pack, which made this a first serious loss in a while. He roared loudly, making his pack retreat slightly to change their tactics. They needed to avoid the fearsome weapons. It seemed to be more capable than the blades the greyskin used before.