28

'Wake up, Vik.'
He sighed and curled his head under my arm.
'Your parents are on the phone. Get up.' I felt him freeze beside me. My blood had already ran cold, but I realised things were worse than I thought when he looked up.
'I didn't tell them.' he whispered hoarsely.
'Why?' I demanded. He told me that his parents knew- that he had told them himself, and that whilst they weren't happy, they were still supportive.
'I was scared.' he whispered.
'Go talk to them, Vik.'
He stayed still for a minute, and then dragged himself heavily out of the bed, standing by the doorframe for a minute before following Josh downstairs to the kitchen, where the phone was.
I stayed in bed.
My face suddenly crumpled, as I felt a wave of panic flow through me. What if his parents told him he had to go home?
Vik told me they'd always been strict, that they'd never been... accepting, but when he told me they were okay with us, I was so unbelievably happy. I knew we should've told our parents, before they found out from the inevitable 'coming out' video.
My mum and dad were just happy I had found someone I loved.
They had met Vik a few times, and so they knew him well enough to give us their blessing.
I waited impatiently in the bed, too scared and too stuck in my own thoughts to move.
I could think of nothing but Vik's parents, screaming down the phone whilst he sat, shaken and silent.
I knew him well enough to know that if his parents didn't approve, he would be crushed.
'I have to be there.' I mumbled to my bones as I roused my body enough to clamber out of the bed, and down to the kitchen where I knew Vik would be waiting.

~~