Chapter. 21

Today was the day of the dance, and if I'm being honest.... I'm really dreading going.

I packed all my dress clothes up into my book bag, and got my mom to drive me to Brian's house. I guess since Lydia and I aren't together anymore, I shouldn't have to lie about what I was doing. Although, knowing my mom, she would assume the worst and I'd rather be miserable at my first school dance with all my friends, then regret not going at all later on.

        "Weston?" My mom asked from beside me. I rolled my head over the seat cushion to face her. "Are you alright?" She asked once she knew that I was paying attention. I sighed and turned to look out the window, my eyes beginning to hurt from attempting to focus on the the blurry scenery that zoomed by.

        "Of course I am, why wouldn't I be?" I said, mustering up the best fake smile I could. We pulled into Brian's driveway, I could already see Ian's penny board resting on the steps to the house. To the left of the porch was a blue bike, a red penny board, and a galaxy penny board.

Seeing it laying there made my chest feel tight. I didn't know she'd be here. Why was she here? She knew that the plan was for me to come here and we'd all meet at the dance. If she broke up with me I thought she'd do everything she could to avoid me. I guess I was wrong.

        I sighed as I opened the car door, stepping out of it and onto the pavement. My mom called out something from behind me, but I acted as if I didn't hear her as I made my way up the brick steps. Slowly, I pushed open the door, the cool air from the house hit my body as if it was greeting me. Laughter echoed throughout the house and I could immediately tell that it was coming from the basement. My feet carried me down the carpeted steps, and once I made myself visible, Ian and Brian immediately engulfed me in a hug.

        Maggie was there, sitting on the black leather couch with a bowl of popcorn in her lap. Her cloth wasn't wrapped around her head like it usually is, and I caught sight of her bright red hair, which was styled in almost a buzz cut type way. It suited her, though. My breath caught in my throat once I caught sight of Lydia. Nikki was sitting behind her, taking a straightener to Lydia's hair as she stared at her reflection in the mirror, applying a thin coat of mascara to her eyelashes.

I pursed my lips and cleared my throat, turning to face Ian and Brian. "Can I talk to you guys for a second?" I asked, but I didn't give them time to answer as I dragged them away from the girls, hiding us in the bathroom.

"Damn Weston," Brian chuckled. "If you wanted to have a threesome you should've just asked." He mused, straightening up his now wrinkled shirt. Ian laughed, shoving his shoulder lightly, then turned back to face me.

I completely ignored his ignorant statement as I looked at them with wide eyes. "Why is Lydia here?" I asked, my voice in a hushed whisper due to the thin walls.

Ian and Brian exchanged looks of confusion, causing them both to shrug their shoulders. "Umm... Cause she wanted to be?" Ian said, but his voice was laced with confusion, making it come out as more of a question.

I rolled my eyes, and cursed underneath my breath. "Is there something you're not saying?" Brian asked, concern in his eyes.

Ashamed and embarrassed of the truth, I shook my head, and sent them a smile. "Nope. Just wondering." I said, opening the bathroom door and slipping back into the sitting room. I made myself comfortable on the couch, sitting as far away from Lydia as I possibly could. A little while ago, Brian put on 'The Amazing Spider Man,' and all the girls sat as close to the tv screen as they possibly could.

"Who's the guy that plays Peter?" Nikki asked, tugging on the sleeves of her sweater. Lydia shrugged, not taking her eyes off the screen once.