Chapter 1: The Night Before

It was a warm, September night. Alex was looking out his bedroom window. He felt like he could see the entire world from where he stood. He heard a knock on the door.
"Come in," he said as he looked to see who exactly was knocking. A young boy came in. He looked a couple years younger than Alex.
"Dammit Daniel," Alex said with an angry expression on his face. "You should be asleep. You got school tomorrow."
"Yea, so do you," Daniel said with a smirk on his face.
"What do you want little brother," Alex asked.
"Just checking to see if you jumped out the window."
"Screw you," Alex said jokingly. He looked back at the window, looking at all the buildings. He then looked at the empty street below. He then looked back at Daniel.
"Damn man, high school. I'm going to freaking high school tomorrow," Alex said.
"You still a safety patroller or are you done with that," Daniel asked.
"I'm not giving up the badge anytime soon. Westbrook Academy is still a hell hole. The least I can do is make it safer."
"Yea, good luck with that. The way I see it, you won't last 2 weeks in there."
"We'll see Danny. We'll see. Now go to bed."
"Fine. Goodnight bro."
"Goodnight little brother." Daniel left the room and Alex looked back out the window.