Chapter 11: The Chase

Jackson and Jamie were investigating a store that the credit card thief had been to. Jamie was in the car while Jackson talked to the cashier. "Is this the guy you saw," Jackson said as he showed the cashier the photo. "Yea," the cashier replied. "He was about, maybe 5 foot 9. He was using the ATM." "Did he buy anything?" "No. He just came, used the ATM, and left. He must've had $300 in his pocket." "Ok thank you. If you see him again, contact this number immediately," Jackson said as he gave him a card. He left the store and headed back into the car. "Anything useful," asked Jamie. "Not really." "Listen, Jackson, can I ask you a question." "Sure." "I know I kind of joined the Safety Patrol a little late, so I don't know Alex and Rachel that well. What's the deal between them? Relationship problems, I assume." "Alex and Rachel, in a relationship." Jackson chuckled. "The two of them have known each other longer than some married couples. The day Alex McCartney and Rachel Leonard become a couple is the day I start drinking. It's actually much, much deeper than anybody could imagine." "Tell me." "I think it's better if you hear it from one of them. I'm not at a position to say anything." "Ugh....fine." Jamie turned away from Jackson and a boy caught her eye. "Jackson," she said. "Look at that guy across the street." Jackson looked. "Blue Red Sox hat, check. That's our guy. Ok make a U-turn and cut him off." Jamie made a U-turn, sped the car up. She then drove it onto the sidewalk and cut the boy off. Both of them got out the car. "Freeze," Jackson said. The boy ran into an apartment building. Jackson and Jamie gave chase. The boy ran up a flight of stairs with Jackson and Jamie in pursuit. He pushed a girl out the way. The girl screamed. "I think she's injured," Jackson said. "Go, I got her." Jackson attended to the girl while Jamie continued her pursuit. Jamie ran up another flight of stairs when she was suddenly hit with a metal object. She was knocked out. It was the Billie's attacker. "You stupid son of a bitch, you nearly messed up this entire operation," he said. "There's another one down there," the other boy said. "Forget about him, we gotta go, now." The two boys continued upstairs. "Jamie, you alright," Jackson called from below. "Jamie, JAMIE!" He went upstairs and saw Jamie motionless. "10-13, 10-13 requesting backup. Officer down. Send help."