Chapter 12: The Connection

Jackson was in the hospital waiting room when Alex, Rachel, and Richard entered. "How is she," asked Alex. "The doctors said she has a concussion. They said they would inform me if she regained consciousness. Her parents are on the way." "What the hell happened," asked Richard. "We were in pursuit of our credit card thief. He lead us into a building. He knocked this girl down. I helped her. Jamie continued to pursue the subject. When I caught up she was unconscious and I called it in." "Ok, good job Jackson," said Richard. "The guy, the one you were pursuing, what did he look like," asked Alex. "Uh, white, 5 foot 9, maybe 5 foot 10. He had on a denim jacket, a red shirt and beige jeans. He also had on a blue hat." "With a red b on it," asked Rachel. "Yea, like the Boston Red Sox, why?" "Son of a bitch," said Alex. "Your credit card guy is connected to our assault case. Now we know how he supplied Billie with the money." "I'm confused," Jackson said. "We'll fill you in on the way back," Alex replied.

The four safety patrollers were back at the squad room. "So my guy was supplying hush money to your victim. He's late with that pay and all of a sudden someone gets beat up in a bathroom," said Jackson. "Yeah," Alex. "And we still have no idea what they were paying our victim to shut up about. "What about this other guy," asked Richard, "the one with the lead pipe." "We got nothing on him," said Rachel. "So our best bet on finding this lead pipe wielder is to find the credit card thief." "It's been three hours since I put out the APB," said Jackson. "And I still don't have anything." "Ok," Richard said. "Release his photo to the media, maybe a good citizen will recognize him and help." "Hey captain it's getting late, I should go pick up my brother," said Alex. "Go, we'll handle things here." Alex left the squad room. "Y'all just went five minutes without fighting. Looks like improvement to me," said Jackson. "Shut up Jackson." "BACK TO WORK, BOTH OF YOU." Jackson smirked. His phone rang. "Richie can I talk to you for a second," asked Rachel. "Sure," said Richard. "In my office?" "Yea." Richard and Rachel went to Richards office.
"You denied my request for a new partner," Rachel said. "I know." "I sent it in this morning, there's no way you could've reviewed it that fast." "I didn't have to. Rachel listen to me, you and Alex are easily my two best guys here. And i know you and him have issues. But I'm not about to break up a good team because of issues." "But with everything that's going on-" "With everything going on breaking you two up would be predictable, and no problems would be solved if I did that. So I made a judgement call. And it's final. Any other questions?" "No." Jackson walked into the room. "That was the hospital. Jamie's awake." "Alright go check her Jackson. Rachel and I have some things to talk about."