Chapter 13: Brothers Keeper

Alex had parked in front of the middle school that his brother Daniel attends. The bell rang, and all of the students started walking out the front door. Daniel was not among the students. There was a woman waving at Alex over at the front door. "Alex", she said, "May I have a word with you?" Alex went up to the woman. "Principal Garcia, what's up," Alex asked. "It's about your brother," Principal Garcia replied.

"He was caught doing what," Alex asked. He and Principal Garcia were walking down a hallway in the school building. "Your brother and a couple of his friends were found taking pills in the bathroom. They are in my office right now." "Is one of the people he was with P.J Willis," Alex asked. "Yes, P.J Willis is among the ones caught." "I told him not to hang out with that boy. He's nothing but trouble." They stopped in front of the principals office. "Daniel's in there. I assume you want to talk to him alone, so I'll wait out here." Alex went into the office. Daniel was sitting in a chair, facing the principals desk. Alex looked at his brother, and then sat on the desk. "Popping pills, huh. Are you stupid? Are you that dumb? You could've died. You could've been arrested. What the hell is wrong with you?" Alex just stared at his brother. Daniel stared back. "I don't need to answer to you. You ain't my father. You know, just because you wear a badge all the time, doesn't mean that you can boss me around like I'm your goddamn child. You ain't my father, Alex." Alex looked at Daniel in shock. He leaned forward and whispered, "Well I'm the closest thing you have to a father nowadays." Daniel slapped his brother, and stormed out the room. Alex was in pursuit, but stopped right outside the door. He looked at Principal Garcia. "Are you going to suspend him," he asked. "For one week," Principal Garcia replied. "What is he doing popping pills," Principal Garcia asked. "He's struggling through some things. I should go talk to him," Alex replied. He exited the school. Daniel was waiting by the car. "Get in the car," Alex said. "You can't tell me what to do-" "GET IN THE GODDAMN CAR NOW DANIEL!" Daniel got in the car. Alex did the same. Alex looked at Daniel. "I told you not to mess around with P.J." "He's my friend." "He's a bad influence. All he does is drugs. Dad wouldn't want you hanging around him." "Well dad ain't around anymore, now is he." Alex stared at Daniel in disbelief. "What is with you," he asked. Daniel was silent. Alex, still in disbelief, started the car and drove off.