Chapter 14: The Hospital Visit

Jackson was in Jamie's hospital room. Jamie lay on her bed, with her eyes closed. Still unconscious. Jackson was looking out the window. He looked at the city. He was in a trance like state. Then a noise came from behind. Jamie was awake. "Is that you Jackson," she asked. Jackson turned around. "Jamie, you're awake," Jackson said in relief. "What happened," Jamie asked. "We were in pursuit of a suspect, and he knocked you out. You're gonna be here for the next couple days." "What? No I'm not. I'm still working the case." Jamie tried to get up but Jackson grabbed her shoulders, and gently laid her back down. "You're not going anywhere. The doctors said that you have a concussion. You're staying here." "But Jackson-" "Listen Jamie, I want this guy as badly as you do. And we're gonna get him. The best thing for you to do is to stay here and rest. You need it." "Fine," Jamie replied reluctantly. Two people came into the room, a man and a woman. "Mom, Dad," Jamie said with joy. "I guess I'll wait outside," Jackson said as he left the hospital room.
After about 30 minutes, Jamie's parents left the hospital room. Jackson was outside waiting. Jamie's parents walked toward him. "So this is the boy my daughter works with," Jamie's father said. "Mr and Mrs Louis, it's a pleasure to finally meet you," Jackson said, as he shook both their hands. "She speaks highly of you," Jamie's mom said. "She talks about how dedicated you are to being a Safety Patroller." "I'm just trying to do my part," Jackson replied. "And it appears, according to our daughter, that you are doing a fine job," said Jamie's father. "She looks up to you Jackson, and I can only say that to a handful of people. Keep up the good work." "Thank you sir," Jackson replied. Jamie's parents left. Jacksons phone started to ring. He answered. "Hello," he answered. "Jackson, it's Richard. How's Jamie?" "She has a concussion," Jackson replied. "The doctors want to keep her for a couple days so they can do some follow up tests. It's my fault Richie. I should've continued the pursuit instead." "And you would be in the same position Jamie is Jackson. Go home, get some rest. Jamie is going to be fine." Richard hung up the phone. Jackson looked over at Jamie, and then left.