Chapter One - Boredom and Bumping

"You going to One Direction?" My best friend Tiana asked me. I rolled my eyes. She knew the answer.

"Duh." I finished stacking the last of the towels into the linen cupboard. Gosh my job was boring.

"Remind me again, why are you here? You don't even work here." I asked her. Here, of course, meaning the Crown Casino (and hotel) in Melbourne.

She giggled and readjusted herself on the random bed she was lying on.

"I was bored."

Of course. Tiana tended to do rash things when she was bored. She was once arrested for interrupting a parade. She got away with it, though. Good looks do wonders, apparently.

Tiana certainly had good looks. She had brown hair that barely touched her shoulders, olive skin, and chestnut colored eyes framed by long lashes.

She batted those very lashes and laughed again.

"One Direction will be staying here." She stated. Like I didn't know. We'd only been told a million times, by her, my colleagues and the whole fanbase.

"No, you can't come when they're here. I've been told that if we invite anyone we will be personally fired on the spot, and this job pays too well." I told her sternly.

I usually was a lot more lenient, but jobs like this don't come easily.

"You could be a model. You have god knows how many offers, yet you're working here!" She threw her hands into the air.

"You know I'm just making up my mind, T." I reminded her. She was right, as much as it annoyed me.

"Yeah, yeah." She rolled her eyes this time.

"Well my shift is over in 5. Wanna hit the pool?" I offered.

"Sure. I'll meet you in the lobby." She skipped off to the elevators madly.

I finished restocking the room, chuckling to myself. What I didn't tell her was that One Direction were going to be here for a week, and they were coming tomorrow. If she knew, I know she would flip.

I personally really like them, I just didn't want to get into any trouble. I did, however, hope I ran into one of them and perhaps got a picture.

I slowly pondered this as I walked to the locker room to change.

"Lila?" My manager, Jillian, called me aside. She was a lovely woman, and even though she was a lot older, we were friends.

"Yes?" I smiled.

"Well, there was one spot left for the team of people who just look after One Direction for the week, and I wanted to know you're on the team now!"

Score! Now I get to walk into their hotel room with an excuse. I just hope it doesn't distract from my career finding business.

"Thank you so much!" I beamed at her.

No way was I telling Tiana this.

~

"You seem bubblier than before. What happened?" Tiana asked as we walked to the pool. We were using the Crown's pool that was open to the public.

"Um... Jillian just gave me good news." I desperately hoped she left it at that; I may be a model, but I was a terrible actress and liar.

"What news?" She narrowed her eyes. Tiana was quite the busy body.

"Pay rise." I blurted out. Seemed logical enough.

"Cool." Tiana seemed satisfied with my lie. We reached the pool and swam for a bit, until Tiana and I got bored and went our separate ways.

~

Once I was back at my flat, I went online and looked at my emails.

I has numerous requests from various modeling agencies for interviews.

Tiana was right; why wasn't I seizing these opportunities?

I just needed time, that was all.

I had plenty of it... but I also had plenty of options.

To clear my mind, I decided to go for a run. I changed quickly, and started to head out the door, plugging my earphones in. Music crashed into my ears, filling me with a sense of calm.

A little flashing red light from my home phone brought me back to reality. I switched off my earphones and stumbled over to my receiver warily.

"You have two new messages."

"Hey, honey, it's mum! I hope you got all those emails! There's even one from Seafolly and Victoria's Secret! Please call me soon, don't listen to your dad, he-"

Beep! The message cut off.

I knew what mum was going to say, even without listening to the rest of her message. I pressed play for the next message.

"Hello, Lila. I need you to make up your mind soon. Your mother and I want you to be happy. Keep thinking about law. It's a much more worthwhile-"

I cut off the message myself this time. Couldn't they stop bugging me about choosing a gosh-darned job?

My spirits dampened, I left my apartment for the humid streets of Melbourne.

As if to match my mood, the sky starts to drizzle. Seriously? It was the middle of summer and it decides to do this. We seriously did something wrong with climate change.

I started running. I breathed slowly, angry thoughts clouding my mind and distracting me from the music blasting into my ears.

Why do they always do this? My mum and dad had always had ambitions for me. Almost as high as I had for myself.

When I was little, my mum put me in modeling classes and ballet. She wanted a daughter who was beautiful and talented.

When I was also little, my dad got me tutors for every subject and took me on any cultural learning experience possible. He wanted a smart and talented daughter.

So growing up, my parents made sure I had it all. I quit the ballet, but continued modeling, and I was very successful. I had to miss out on school, and I made a lot of money. This aggravated my dad, and he doubled the tutoring. This in turn aggravated my mum, and when I was 14, they separated.

This didn't bother me that much. It equalled less fighting, more presents, and my mum got the majority of custody. I liked her way of living, high rise and top notch, with jet setting holidays and fashion galore.

I personally preferred modeling to boring study, but I couldn't help think about the consequences. Maybe my dad was right; law was the path for me. But I couldn't help but mentally scroll through all those emails in my mind.

"You know what, Lila?" I told myself, "You're going to look at those jobs. Seriously."

That was when I ran smack bang into a strange guy with a mustache.

Authors note:

Hey y'all! This is my first 1D fanfic on wattpad (I have another account) and I am superrrr excited. Please, vote, comment and fan for more. Especially comment. I'd like to know what I could do better!!

-L