Chap2: Mr. Mayor

Jinyoung's POV

I did not need sympathy.

I did not need help.

I wanted to be alone.

No.

I wanted to die.

What's worse was that I keep living a cursed life, watching every single person I care for die right before my eyes. All those times I have witnessed them draw their last breath, I wished it was me instead. Damn all money and all fame, I would give up anything to have my family back – to embrace them and feel their loving warmth again.

But who was I kidding?

Life was cruel and so was fate. For so many years I prayed to all gods, to any god at all, to take my life so I can be with my family again. But seems like whatever god is out there, he doesn't want me dead yet.

Cutting myself was nothing new. It was my way of coping. The pain I felt every time I cut gave me a temporary distraction, an escape from reality.

It was one of those days where I felt so hopeless and wanted to flee so I made a deep gash on my wrist. I was in deep thought, imagining what it would have been if my family was still with me; my parents retiring and spending their senior days traveling and my sister growing to a beautiful girl. I was so out of it that I did not even notice my front door opening. My uncle suddenly popped up and showed himself in my house. He found me inside my comfort room, bleeding and dazed. I wanted to be left alone but being a doctor, my uncle was automatically on my side tending my wounded wrist.

I thought that my uncle and his family would leave after tending to my needs but I was wrong. My uncle told me he was taking me with him to live in their town. I refused of course. I didn't want him to end up like the rest of my family. I brought nothing but bad luck and tragedy to people around me. That's why I was determined to isolate myself from the world and never let anyone in my life again. I didn't mind being alone. I'd rather be lonely than get attached to people then mourn again when I lose them.

I screamed and thrashed when my uncle began packing my clothes. I didn't want him and his family to suffer the misfortunes that came with me. I pushed them away, I glared at them and I eventually broke down in front of them. I thought my decision was final but seeing how hurt my Uncle Haejin was every time I pushed him away, I slowly relented. He's my last family after all and seeing him sad crushed me.

And that's how I found myself setting foot into a town far from where I lived. My uncle gave me my own room and I had no plan to leave my small secluded space. I could work with my stories anywhere as long as I have my laptop with me so I'd be fine.

I was a writer, by the way, a well-known writer under the pseudo name 'Junior.' I wrote sad and dramatic novels with no happy endings. I was surprised actually that many people buy my books. Writing was my way to vent out my frustrations, my fears, everything that has happened to me. Writing became my haven where I could pour out all my thought and emotions. I remained unknown to the public though. Just sending my manuscripts to the publishing house, therefore, leaving me to be known as the most mysterious writer.