Chapter Four

A/N: Hey Guys! Take another slice of this collaboration! This in my chapter this time but Mocha did a wonderful job of editing it for me. Sorry this took so long to update, that was all on me and I apologise. So, I hope you all enjoy! =)

Cry’s POV

Scott’s failed attempt at suppressing his chuckle filled my ears as we hurried down the steep dirt hill. I reached out, grabbing a low falling branch to steady myself as the ground shifted below my feet. Russ was shushing Scott as he slid down, grabbing his arm and trying not to smirk himself as the three of us ran deeper into the darkness.

The moon hung high above our heads, the sky half covered with purple clouds and half with stars. Through the silence, I could hear hushed chatter coming from some of the other cabins, showing me that we weren’t the only ones who couldn’t sleep.

“Cry,” Russ hissed, pulling me into the trees. My hand tightened around the fancy brown holdall I held under my arm. The small name tag swung as I dodged under a branch, the name ‘Pewds’ was written on it and just seeing it made me want to laugh. Who brings a case this fancy to a camp full of thieves and vandals? Idiot.

We continued running, jumping over fallen branches and ducking under others, trying not to slip on the leaf-covered ground, until the familiar sound of a river came into earshot.  I slowed down to a jog, watching Scott drop the case he carried, a case exactly the same as the one I held but a little smaller, and he leaned against the nearest tree, breathing deeply and looking out at the river. Russ kicked some leaves out the way, staring at them as they fell into the water, before sitting down and pulling a cigarette out of his pocket.

“Remember when Red pushed you in there,” I chuckled and nodded towards the river. Scott nudged Russ with his foot, laughing when Russ gripped onto the bank and scowling at him.

“Hmm, she was very sorry about that when I caught a cold,” Russ muttered, rolling the cigarette around in his mouth as he lit it.

I knelt down, grabbing the zip of Pewds’ fancy bag and pulling it open. Scott shuffled forward, digging inside and pulling a shirt out. His brows furrowed as he held it up, chuckling to himself at the brightly coloured material.

“Seriously? He was just planning on getting beat up, wasn’t he,” he laughed and threw the shirt onto the ground.   I tipped the bag up, letting the clothes fall out in a heap on the floor.

“Oh, Jesus,” I sighed, shaking my head when my eyes fell on some bright pink boxers with ducks printed all over them. I held back my laughter, hating that I actually found them quite amusing. “We’re doing him a favour getting rid of this.”

Russ’ hand reached out, grabbing the duck boxers and dropping them into the river, watching them float away like the leaves had. He gave me a wicked grin and I returned the smile behind my mask. It was as if he’d read my mind.

“So, Cry, where do you want to hide these?” Scott asked, his hand dancing around the pile.