Chapter 6

***

"Humor was a good way to hide the pain."

{NAIA}

I woke up feeling strange. What had happened yesterday...?

Then it all came rushing back. Leo. Hekate. Bunker 9. The bracelet.

What had my mom done? I was in deep shit, and it was all her fault. I wanted to talk to her somehow, but Hekate had warned me not to tell anyone. So it wouldn't make much of a difference. She was probably wondering where I was, but I didn't feel much like talking to her. She was awful to me. Why did she deserve any better from me?

I rolled out of bed and looked at my reflection in a mirror. I looked awful. I had barely slept at all last night, worrying about my mom's deal with Hekate.

Then I had a minor panic attack. What am I gonna do, what am I gonna do, what am I gonna do... Damn it all, Naia, you've gotten into this mess and no one can help you... what the hell would I do... I couldn't tell anyone... shit, shit, shit...

I was royally screwed.

I sat back down on the bed and put my head in my hands. This wouldn't be so bad if someone could help me, but I couldn't do this on my own! No, no, no...

I breathed deeply. Calm down, Naia, I told myself. It's going to all turn out alright.

I hoped.

I got changed into white jean shorts, a purple Camp Jupiter tee, and my black converse with the multicolored laces. I wear no makeup, like usual.

I walked outside. The sun was shining, like everything was perfect. How ironic.

Most of the kids were still in their cabins. I was alone. But I didn't really feel like socializing right now.

I walked into the washrooms and splashed some water on my face. Then I went to the cafeteria, grabbed a bagel, and went out for a walk.

I passed the buildings, and headed into the woods. I wanted to be alone.

I walked for a while, steering clear of the path to Bunker 9, since I did not want to see Leo anytime soon. What I had done yesterday made me feel kind of awkward. I felt bad for faking wanting to start a friendship with him, since I didn't really feel that way. Right? Then again, the dreams I'd had of him couldn't have been coincidental-if I had learned anything since discovering I was a demigod, it was that nothing is a coincidence.

But I didn't want to have to deal with that now. I had way
too much to deal with right now.

I decided to take a rest. I sat down on the edge of a lake, and pulled my knees up to my chest. I stared at the clear, sparkling water. It was so very still that day.

I sighed. My life at camp had been wonderful for about a day. It's funny how things can change so quickly.

After a while, I lost myself. I melded with the nature.

So, I didn't hear her walk up behind me.

"Hi," I heard a voice say. "Um... I don't wanna bug you, but..."

My head whirled around. The speaker was a girl of about my age. She looked strangely familiar...

"Oh, um, it's no problem," I replied. "Who are you?"

"I'm Louise. I think you know my brother-Louis?"

"Ohh, yeah, I do. Nice to finally meet you!" I stuck out my hand for her to shake. She looked at me for a moment, and then she seemed to realize that she was supposed to shake it. She did, and laughed. "Lol! I'm sorry, I tots did NOT realize what you were doing!" [A/N: any abbreviations I use I'm this character's dialogue is supposed to be said like in letters. Except for words like "tots" and "legit" and "whatev".]