Chapter 28

"Don't stay in one place too long. It was the only way to stay ahead of the sadness."

{LEO}

We'd been walking for about two days, and so far we'd found absolutely nothing. I decided not to bore you with the details of two basically identical days.

Naia and I were... it felt different, between us, to say the least. There was some awkwardness, but, well, we'd jumped over the kiss barrier. I wasn't sure whether I should show some more affection, like holding hands, or putting my arm around her... god, even after Calypso, I was so socially awkward. And there was also a thought nagging me from the back of my head, that I tried to push away but couldn't: does she hate me now?

I was trying to avoid thinking of her, but since she was with me constantly, it was impossible.

I was starting to get really sick of the Labyrinth by now, believe me. It had been more than a few weeks, and that's way too long to be on an underground quest of horror for. Hopefully, it would be over soon (I kept saying this, I know). Plus, I was still feeling horrible (major understatement) thanks to that friendly poison Hekate had sent me.

"Leo," Naia said suddenly, grabbing my arm. "I think this is the place." She pointed down a narrow, very, very dark hallway.

"How do you know?" I asked. At this point, I would be more than happy if this were the last battle (or whatever).

"I just have this feeling."

I nodded. "Well, if anyone would, it'd be you. Shall we go...?"

She nodded, and I offered her my arm.

Naia laughed distractedly and took it. "Always the gentleman, even in near-death situations."

"That's when you need one most," I joked. We walked down the tunnel, my free hand outstretched, fire burning in my palm.

It was cold, and damp, and seriously creepy. If this was the place, Esmeralda must have been dragged along this very place. Way too creepy for a nine-year-old.

I was really tired of walking through dark corridors, but I guess that was basically what the entire maze was like.

Finally, Naia pulled away from my arm and moved ahead as we came to a fork. She examined each path carefully, and then led the way to the path on the left.
"This way," Naia said I followed her.

"I really hope you're right," I told her.

"I'm not, I'm left," she said, and grinned.

I laughed. "That was the worst joke you've ever made."

"Thanks for the appreciation." She pouted and turned away.

I stepped around a rock, and then pulled her to me and kissed her temple. "You're welcome," I said.

We walked for a bit more, and then I stopped. There was a light in the distance.

"Whatever that is, it's where we want to be," Naia said.

"Okay."

Suddenly, the light flickered out. I looked at Naia. "Extinguish your fire," she said. She meant the fire I was holding in my hand. I did so, and she grabbed my hand tightly.

Her touch sent pleasant shocks of electricity up my arm. I'd always hated holding hands with anyone, even my mom, and would groan inwardly when I wondered if I would ever date a girl and if she'd want to hold hands. But with Naia, I didn't want to let go. Her hand, which was cool and dry, the palm soft and back slightly chapped, seemed to fit in mine perfectly, and I felt like it gave me courage.