Chapter One: A New Beginning

His emerald green eyes gazed down at the paperwork in his hands, skimming over the header that was in bold letters: Papers of Divorce. His white gloved fingers were shaking slightly as he looked over the letter at came with the certificate in his hands and a sigh of relief escaped his mouth. It was finally over... His marriage to Amy Rose was finally behind him. Although Sonic was happy that he could move on with his life part of him was sad, after all they had been married for almost seven years. Ever since Dr Eggman had finally been defeated, in a sense by his own mind rather than Sonic's hand. The robotic scientist had firstly descended into madness at the constant defeats before finally his mind started deteriorating..

With the doctor out of the way Sonic had relaxed somewhat and had a chance to allow Amy to pursue him. He had married her quickly but slowing down, becoming settled had not been what he wanted at thirty-one. He had spent all his teens and twenties fighting, he hadn't spent a whole lot of time just being himself and he had just wanted to explore the world, see different things and experience what life had to offer. At first Amy didn't seem to mind but as time wore on his pink furred wife no longer desired to travel and have adventures with him, she began to want them to stay put. Their friends were settling down and having babies so Amy wanted a baby too. At the time Sonic had been thirty-six, they had been married almost five years and if she had thought her blue husband was ready to be a parent she was wrong. Sonic didn't want a kid yet, he wasn't ready to settle down, he wasn't done exploring the world. He was still trying to find himself, find his place in a world that no longer needed a hero. And this 'selfish' attitude of his was what had caused a rift between Amy and himself from which their marriage would never recover..

The blue hedgehog folded up his final divorce papers, stuffed them into the back of the quills then laid back down on the roof of his marital home and gazed up at the clear nights sky. The inky blackness was dotted with glittering stars while the full moon glowed serenely amongst them.

...I get older yet they always stay the same...

A soft sigh escaped his lips. For the first time in his life the blue hedgehog felt unsure on what to do..

His green eyes dropped from the dark sky to the For Sale sign that glinted in the light of the moon. He had been forced to sell the marital home to satisfy the settlements of divorce. Although this now made Sonic homeless at forty for the first time this fact didn't particularly bother him. Amy had picked out the rustic little cottage and he had just gone along with her choice without out bothering to input much opinion. The same could be said for the interior of the property as it reflected nothing of himself. He had never cared much about what the inside of the home looked like, he had never planned to spend much time in it.

Now that he considered things he didn't really put much input into much of his marriage, he just drifted along through it because he figured that was how it was supposed to be.

Have I ever really been happy with my marriage?

It was a question that the middle-aged blue hedgehog had never asked himself once during his time with Amy and it brought a small frown to his brow. It brought more questions than it did an answer. But then he had been very conscious of the fact that everybody else had expected him to marry Amy, settle down and be happy. Then it hit him, he had been so busy trying to be the hero, the guy everyone else wanted him to be that somewhere along the line he had stopped listening to himself and what he wanted.

What do I want?

Sonic sighed heavily. He honestly had no idea..

He had always been a people pleaser, it was probably one of his worst qualities. He hated letting people down and he felt guilty when he upset others. However somewhere along the last nine years he had lost touch himself and if he was ever going to figure out where he belonged now he needed to find out who he was..