15. What is it Worth?

Setting: Before the events of the Chapter "The Heart of Me" in which we shall learn what Thranduil was up to before that night with Clara.

I have been really looking forward to attempting to write this chapter, because I get to explore more of the Thranduil/Bregeth backstory, and to show how poisonous a bad relationship can truly be. Anyway, fair warning, there are some serious and sensitive topics covered in this chapter.

***************************

"If you want to break these walls down, you are going to get bruised!"

Halsey - Castle.

***************************

The ink splattered messily on the parchment, I winced, stifled a weary yawn, and dropped the quill back in its well at the edge of the table.

It wasn't even noon yet and I was sick to the back teeth with today's laborious paperwork.  The morning council session had only added to my already back-logged pile of unfinished replies, notices, and acknowledgements.  I loathed unnecessary faffing, honestly, I could be doing so much more if I wasn't required to document everything.  When I take the crown, all of this is being condensed into something manageable...or else I will invest in a good scribe.

"Thranduil, your script is looking a little untidy," Raffyn hummed over my shoulder and I ground my teeth in my response. 

Was I not his prince, was I not acting up in my father's place?  Surely that meant he wasn't supposed to be criticising my calligraphy skills, surely my temporary promotion came with a lack of lectures?

"Messy penmanship is a sign of carelessness, and carelessness is a sign of thoughtlessness, and none of these things should be attached to a future King...write it again."

Eurgh...evidently I am not above lecturing.

"And eye rolling is not how you commune your displeasure, your highness.  Rulers must bear irritation and disappointment with dignity and patience..."

Well that is never going to work for me.

"...Furthermore, I am supposed to be reporting back to your father about your daily performance.  I suggest you take this acting up stint as an opportunity to prove your capacity for the crown...it has been questionable of late."

"Raffyn?"  I decide to cut him off before I fall asleep to his endless twittering.

"Yes, your highness?"

"Could you send servants to check on Lady Clara and my son, please?  I check on them both everyday at midday but I'm afraid these reports will hold me back...and I cannot settle myself unless I know they are both well."

Raffyn's stern exterior melts for a brief moment, and his eyes soften just a enough to let me know his genuine fondness for my family. 

"Of course, I shall go right this minute and check on them myself...would that ease your concerns?"  He asks and I nod in agreement. 

With a swift bow he exits and I have my desired blissful silence, so I return to my own brooding thoughts with gusto.

I cannot say Raffyn cared much for Clara before, but her courage has changed many hearts around the palace, especially Raffyn's.  He and Adar are close, firm friends, with a deep loyalty cementing that bond.  Clara's display, and admittedly insane actions, to defend the King and his family has made her somewhat of a national treasure.  Of course she remains entirely oblivious to it all and carries on like nothing ever  happened, and with each passing day I feel like I'm getting further away from her, instead of closer...I don't understand it?