21. Know Better

The Great Hall, Greenwood the Great.
3412 SA.

Bregeth held a sweeping conversation with masterful skill. The way she sat, the way her eyes glittered with fierce intensity, and how her cold, clear words echoed with assured confidence was truly indicative of her noble blood. She was raised to be a Queen, everyone knew it, and no one doubted it...except me.

I sat at my Adar's side, drinking more than entertaining, and not at all interested in the food in front of me. I observed more than I spoke, but this had always been my preference. It would be a rare occasion where I felt relaxed enough to be myself in company, especially political and council company, even if it was a Mid-Summer party.

A sharp elbow angled into my ribs. I cringed, but not enough that any would notice.

"You could smile," Bregeth hissed in my ear, though she masked it as a loving whisper. "The council lords are feeling ignored."

"I'm not a court jester," I grumbled and shifted in my seat. "Coddling their fragile egos and indulging their clingy needs is not my concern outside of council business."

"That is a poor attitude for a King to take," she sniffed and delicately took a sip of her wine. "You are such a disappointment, Thranduil, I feel like I have to carry you through every social situation."

I dropped my head, teeth clenching, for her words hurt and I hated that I let it show. Adar's gaze momentarily burned into the side of my head. I always felt his scrutiny without needing to look.

Clearing my throat, I pushed my head back and sat poker straight in my chair. Turning to Adar I offered a guarded smile. He didn't return the gesture, his eyes simply slid from mine to Bregeth. In that moment I wondered if he knew of the hell she put me through on a daily basis. Did it matter if he did? I didn't think a King had the authority to undo a union vow, and was it awful of me to desperately desire that he could?

"Oh, I almost forgot." Bregeth, placed her glass down and swivelled on her seat to stare me out with a borderline vicious glare. "We have an announcement to make."

"We do?" I raised an eyebrow, glancing down at the firm hand she placed on my knee. A warning - don't attempt to stop her.

"Yes," she hissed through gritted teeth. "And do not make a scene Thranduil. This is the most perfect opportunity, everyone of importance is in attendance."

"I'm not following," I said with a dubious frown.

"Just smile and follow my lead," she muttered and rose from her seat. "We will talk about any concerns you have later, but remember, this is what we agreed too...this is business."

I stared in confusion as she raised her glass high, her striking appearance automatically gaining the attention of everyone in the room. Adar peered up at her with a cautious smile that hid mild displeasure. He loathed not being kept in the loop of things that Bregeth liked to announce or meddle in, but he never stopped her either.

Her eyes flashed to mine with a demanding impatience. I sighed and stood too, lifting my glass and clearing my throat. My actions ensured the complete silence of the whole Hall. I was their prince and heir, it could be construed treasonous to ignore me.

"Noble lords and ladies of my Adar's court, fair elves of the realm, and our most honoured Lindon brethren." I tilted my golden cup to Bregeth's visiting entourage of dignitaries. "My wife, your princess, wishes to speak."

Bregeth beamed and angled her body closer to mine, offering me her cheek. Stomach twisting, because the falseness of her affection tortured me more than I could bear, I bent and brushed her cheek with a wooden kiss. The awkwardness was too apparent. Bregeth's infuriated, but brief scowl, alerted me that she was displeased by my attempt at quelling the rumours of our loveless marriage. Certainly, I'd pay for this later.