Chapter 5

Victor POV

I don't think I've been to the zoo since I was five, which made it the perfect place for a blind date. There was nothing high society about it, I could wear a hat and sunglasses without looking out of place. And my normal semi formal attire wouldn't work here. I could just be Victor; not Victor Morgan.

I had Gabriel over the day before to select my outfit. There was no need to go shopping, I had plenty of clothing, I just never wore any of it. Regardless, Gabe was happy that he got to send me out into the world in something other than a tuxedo or black pants and a white button up shirt. I was happy to just not think about what I was wearing today.

Looking over myself in the mirror, I was surprised at how different I looked. This is as incognito as I get. Grabbing my keys, I headed for the car.

On the ride there, I thought over the date I had picked out for Mr. B. Owen. I'm supposed to call him Owen now.  The username "TickleMy88Keys" let me know that they were into music, the profile with various concerto pieces listed throughout made me think that at least Mr. B. —Damn it, it's Owen—would have something to talk about with this person.

I sighed and gripped the steering wheel tighter. Please let my date not be awful, please let me date not be awful, please let me date not be awful. Taking a few deep breaths, I waited for the panic to subside. Doc would be pleased that I was able to keep the panic attack at bay. Since I stopped playing as many concerts, the frequency of attacks had gone down. Being "Just Victor" suited me and it turned out that it was good for my health too.

Time for "Just Victor" to go on this date.

I was to meet my date at the entrance of the zoo near the giant elephant statue. As I approached, I saw the usual groups of families waiting patiently to photograph their kids by the elephant and others waiting in line to purchase tickets. What really stuck out was the girl in Louboutins and a Gucci halter dress. My stomach dropped, and I knew that this was my date. From the perfectly manicured nails to the Barbie blonde hair, this girl screamed high maintenance, and unfortunately for me, that usually came with wealth.

I approached Barbie and extended my hand, " 'MyFriendSignedMeUpForThis', I presume?" She took my hand and gave me one of those limp wristed dainty handshakes.

"You must be 'TightyWhityWearer.' "

I MUST BE WHAT? OWEN BLACKBOURNE YOU'RE DEAD.

"Excuse me, what did you say?"

"Well, I didn't expect 'The Victor Morgan' to wear tighty whities, but I can work with it."

DEAD, OWEN. DEAD AND BURIED.

"Well, I seem to be at a greater disadvantage than I thought. Not only do you have the infinitely better username, but you know who I am. So, who are you?"

She launched into a litany of beauty pageant awards that she had won before actually telling me her name. The whole thing was so rehearsed, I would have thought Kota was standing in front of me. The strange thing was that despite her vapid nature, I was intrigued by her. Something in her countenance rang true, and I wanted to learn more about that girl. The one trying to sell me on her pedigree I could do without.

I noticed as Owen passed by us, a cursory look given to me and my date before he approached what had to be his blind date. Another quick glance to make sure that no blood was being spilled, and I directed my attention back to Sang.

"Are you going to be okay to walk around in those heels?"

"Sure. I'm used to this."

"Ok." I motioned for her to head toward the entrance as I used my other hand to reach for our tickets in my pocket.