Chapter Five - The Morning After

The Morning After

Elizabeth's POV

What the hell?

Cursing under my breath I bury my head under my pillow. Someone is knocking on my door and I'm pretty sure I want to kill them. My head throbs in tempo with the abrasive sound, making my teeth clench.

Maybe they will go away...

Another knock.

Damn.

"One second," I call out, my voice clipped.

Sitting up groggily, I rub my face and blink the sleepiness from my eyes. Ugh. Whiskey. Really, Ellie, you fool.

Half stumbling out of bed I shuffle to the door. My hair is a mess, a thick loose bun at the top of my head, strands falling around my face. Irritated, I brush a dark brown lock out of my eyes and open the door.

Oh, no.

Adrian is leaning against the door frame, looking sexy as hell in a blue button up and khakis. The sleeves of his shirt are rolled up to his elbows, revealing his tattoos, and in one hand is a white paper shopping bag.

"Adrian," I breathe.

"You live. I was getting worried," he remarks with amusement.

I blush in embarrassment, plucking my baggie t-shirt with its giant penguin cartoon face. I can only imagine how hung over and silly I look. "What time is it?" I glance around, as if expecting the answer to be written in air.

"Nearly noon."

"No way!" I gape.

Smirking, Adrian slides by me. "Sleep well?"

Memories from yesterday have my gut twisting. "Yea." Shutting the door, I cross my arms, slightly amazed to be seeing him here - which meant last night really did happen and wasn't some drunken fantasy.

Chuckling, he sets his bag down. "I didn't mean to wake you. I called. And texted."

"I'm sorry. I was dead to the world."

He smiles at me knowingly. "Mmm...it's amazing what a little orgasm can do."

My mouth drops.

Taking a seat on the couch he leans back, crossing his legs over my coffee table, his black Converse squeaky clean. He pats the space next to him. "You seem surprised to see me, Ellie."

Biting my lip, I sit beside him. "I guess I am."

"Your car is all set. It was nothing major. A few faulty spark plugs."

"Thank you. How much did it cost?"

"Don't worry about it," he dismisses. "I took care of it."

"But, I can pay for the w-work..." I stammer to a halt as he gives me a look. "Or not..."

"Good girl," he drawls, looking pleased.

A shudder runs down my spine. Why does it turn me on so much when he says that? "You didn't have to come all the way here."

"I wanted to." Reaching over he tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. "I couldn't wait to see my sexy little author again."

I stare at him for a moment. "Listen-"

"Don't." His hand covers my mouth. "Don't mention the shit boyfriend. I haven't forgotten."

Dropping my gaze, I pull his hand away from my mouth. I wasn't going to argue. I know I have to end things with Eric. It's a scary thought. I don't know what Adrian wants from me outside of sex, maybe nothing. I may end up completely alone.