Whisper - 13

Ever since that night in Levi’s house, we became somewhat inseparable. Seeing as my friends didn’t talk to me, and he kept his friendships at a minimum, we were two outcasts against the world. Secretly, I kind of liked it. Of course, it didn’t stop the slurs and insults, or the antics of Chelsea who seemed to make it her mission to blotch me out.  

                “Go fish,” I smile, as Levi guessed wrong again. I know he’s doing it on purpose, but I continue to pretend that he isn’t.

                Spending endless afternoons together, I learned a lot about him, everything I thought I knew turned out to be wrong. His façade is misleading, because the real Levi is gentle and kind. He’s thoughtful in a way I didn’t ever sincerely picture, putting others before himself. After six months, he never ceases to amaze me with something new, and I still can’t seem to grow tired of that same lopsided smile.

                We rarely spend time at his house, and if we do, it’s usually because I’ve snuck out again to find him fixing something else in the garage with the same stubborn drive that he always has. Sweat glistening on his forehead, dirty gloves in his pocket, and determination masking his face. He still doesn’t mention his mother, although on occasion we do go to visit Dorothy, who welcomes us with open arms and an open kitchen. Having Levi around is as easy as calling him my left arm, he just fits.  

                “Really,” he mutters suspiciously calmly, with a mischievous shake of his head. Currently, the weather outside is dead, and a thick layer of snow continues to build on top of snow that has already packed tightly onto the grass. Spindly fingers of frost caress the windows, giving the quaint image of my house a cozy, fairytale feel.

                Candles dance around the room, their low light burning slowly and steadily – we lost power earlier in the evening. So to pass the time, since Levi is snowed in at my house, we decided on Go Fish. I can’t remember the last time I played this game, but I couldn’t say it wasn’t fun.

                Still – my eyes and mind wandered to other things. “Are you thirsty?” I stretch my legs and yawn as he snatches a card from the top of the deck, organizing it between to others neatly resting in his hand.

He wavers over a card before looking at me with a tiny smile, “Yes, thank you.” There it is again, that polite disinterest. It’s so unlike him, but it’s all I can recognize anymore. I watch him carefully for a while, trying to figure it out.

                Levi looks so innocent sitting there, butt planted onto a pillow, a deck of cards in front of him. His hair is a disheveled mess but he doesn’t seem to care, dressed in lazy sweatpants and a track t-shirt. I bite my lip, before turning away, the last thing I need is for him to catch me gawking again. I might as well be drooling. I quietly slip away down the hall and into the kitchen, turning the light switch upwards before remembering there aren’t any lights, and sigh as I make my way to the fridge.

                   Although I love doing these simple things with him, I wish he wouldn’t use them as a barrier between us. Lately, he’s been keeping his distance, like he has some kind of guard up. He’s been detached. I open the fridge door, and peer inside, spotting two Cokes. I take them and out a turn around with a gasp. “Levi!” I sigh relieved, my arms resting on his chest, hands still clamped tightly around the torsos of the two cans of soda.

                “I was just coming in to check on you,” He murmurs into my hair, “You’ve been gone for ten minutes.” I must have spent a little more time than I realize thinking through his sudden distracted behavior, his indifference. His hands rest on my shoulders, warm and strong, sending a flutter of sensation rippling across my skin.