1

Hello all,

I'm working to update my old stories and continue them as of now. Very happy to be back and writing again. Enjoy!

Yours Truly

01/27/2017

______________________________________________________________

Lemon cleaning solution, that is the stench that hits me hard and fast as my shoes squeak in the ghostly hallway drenched in bright, unflattering fluorescent lights. I'm greeted by freshly waxed floors, empty plain walls, and a big sign that said 'Welcome Back Bobcats!' in bright purple and orange. It feels wrong for no posters promoting yearbooks, a lame school dance none of the upperclassmen ever attended, or some student council related statement about leadership to be plastered on every available surface. Even some of the old murals have been covered with a fresh coat of paint, reserved for some new favorite art student to bring in a new image or quote.

The only constants are the awards and the trophies. Sports are a pride in this school, almost a pride to the whole town really. Sports are important to me, too. I grew up in a place where football was considered a religion. In our house, game day was almost its own holiday. It had been that way since my mother was a girl. My grandfather, Jack and his wife Deana come over almost every Sunday to cheer on their favorite team to victory. My dad and grandfather don't agree on teams and when their two favorites play against one another, profanities can be heard down the block. I love the feeling of walking in and having the trophies, medals, plaques, and ribbons overpower the room. The Bobcats are a force to be reckoned with.

Walking up to one of the glass cases, spotless after a summer of silence - I see my favorite trophy - my track state championship trophy, 1st place for AA schools in the women's division. I remember running so hard that day I collapsed at the finish line, throwing up the banana and protein bar I'd had for breakfast that morning, but I swear it was worth every second.

And then there it was. The large state trophy belonging to the Bobcats football team. They received a brand new, single trophy case where their token glittered like a treasure. Football was the biggest sport there was, and in the house of the Bobcats, there was no exception. I was proud of the football team, a lot of the players ran track, too. It was really only one in particular that pushed my buttons and sent me into fruitless insanity. But I wouldn't linger on him, because this was my year.

It was finally here, the first day of senior year and last first day of high school forever. I stared at the empty hallway, already way too early and eager to start the day. The last first day. That thought made my heart skip, college applications had been a breeze - but choosing which one to attend was proving difficult. There were so many options, all with pros and cons. Surely, I would miss this small town, but I can't wait to open the next chapter of my life up.

I spend a long time soaking in my surroundings, not wanting to forget a second of this time all the while reveling in the silence. Though it didn't last long.

Behind me a throat clears loudly, and it became apparent from the long shadow around the corner that I am not alone in the lobby like I had thought. A burning curiosity and a sense of dread envelope me all at the same time, I want to look, but am afraid of who I will see. Instead, I settled on whistling aimlessly. It sounds terrible; I never have been one for whistling.

A dark haired giant appeared around the corner and my fears are confirmed as a white smile, filled with ill intentions, is aimed at me. Of course it would be him the one and only Levi. We go way back, he and I, ever since preschool where we clawed tooth and nail to be number one - always outdoing each other at every chance.