Possessed

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day was my first day of training as a heartless soul. I trudged through the house to get outside. I hadn't made any efforts to look good. Last night was my last night of tears and now my eyes were red with emphasized dark circles beneath them. I felt more pale than ever. I had dressed in gray sweatpants and a black sweater. I might as well swallow myself in dark clothes and remain the pathetic, ugly, goth freak that I was. My nose was driving me crazy with a case of the sniffles, too. 

Skipping breakfast, I headed straight out. The rest of the pack was already there, making me late.

I stood in the shadows of the trees, away from everyone else, and watched. Our specialized trainers were a bunch of people I had never seen before. And then came my mate, in all his glory. He wore a fitted tee and jeans. It didn't look like he was going to be training with us.

He stood in front of everyone and ordered them to start off with a six mile run. No one groaned or moaned about it because it was expected of us. We were a warrior pack, after all. While the guys raced one another to the finish line, the girls paired up to run together. I took a seat in the grass beneath my shadowy tree and watched them all run off into the forest where there was a trail.

No one seemed to notice my absence, so I was pleased yet devastated.

No one cares about you.

My head whipped in every direction, looking for who had spoken. But no one was there and Nate and his friends were too far away. The source of the voice remained unknown to me.

I resorted to watching Nate and his friends. His friends consisted of five people. Three guys and two girls. One of the guys was black and he had loud, booming laughter. The guy beside him was very muscular yet cute. The third guy had brown hair and was telling the other two guys and Nate a story while gesturing with his hands animatedly. Nate didn't really look like he was listening to him, though. His eyes kept flickering towards the pack house, as if he was expecting someone or something.

Could he be expecting me?, I thought idly.

No. Never.

The voice spoke again, causing me to jump because I now knew where the voice had come from. It was in my head. But that couldn't be. I reassured myself the voice was not in my head and turned back to watching Nate and his friends.

The two girls looked almost the same, except one was taller and tanner than the other. They both had the same long, dark brown hair. The taller and tanner girl couldn't keep her eyes off the guy animatedly telling a story. They were probably mates.

You'll never have a mate.

"Shut up." I hissed at the voice.

It's true. You'll always be lonely. Why not skip the pain and just...disappear?

"Shut up." I said it through gritted teeth. The shorter of the two girls turned my way, her eyes widening when she saw me. She said something that made everyone stop and pay attention to her.

I slowly got up and turned to make a silent escape when I stepped on a twig. It snapped in half, the cracking sound echoing like a gunshot. Damn.

I turned around and saw them all looking at me. Crap.

Using his wolf speed, Nate was in front of me in a flash. "What are you doing?" His voice was cold and hard with and edge to it.

"Enjoying the shade."