Chapter Two

"Oh, I met Niall today," I tell Emma.

"Oh, really?" 

I nod and continue to stir the soup in the pot.

We make small talk as we eat and I tell her I'm gonna head up to bed.

*****

(A week later)

I smile up at Harry.

"That doesn't hurt?" he asks.

"No," I say with a grin. "Not at all. This is my third."

I'm getting a tattoo. It's a butterfly on my ankle and Harry is watching.

Emma runs into the room screaming.

I plug my ears as my uncle continues on my ankle. She looks at me and grins. "Niall finally asked me out!"

I smile at her. "Oh my gosh! Good for you, Em!"

Harry looks down at his feet but mumbles a congrats.

"Hey, you okay?" I ask.

He nods. "Yeah, just tired. And that looks painful."

He kisses the top of my head.

"I think I'm gonna go home. I'll text you later. Tell me how it goes."

"Okay."

*****

"Are you kidding me Emma?!" I scream at her. "You finally get Niall and now you want someone else! Are you serious!"

"Brooke, I just think Niall is more of a friend type. I don't know. I like him, but ever since he asked me out, it's been awkward between us."

My phone buzzes in my pocket. It's a text from Niall. My eyes grow wide.

She likes Harry.

I look at Emma and then turn bright red with furry.

"And the guy I like, likes me back," she says. I gasp.

I feel tears prick the back of my eyes. "You mean Harry. Really Em? My boyfriend. Wait, he likes you?! Oh my God."

I walk into my room and slam the door. Niall texts me again asking of we can go out to ice cream so he can talk to me. I'm with him on this one, ice cream and someone to talk to sounds perfect. I grab my jacket and rush out the door.

When I get there, I find Niall. I hug him.

"What do I do? Do I try to work it out or do I break up with her?" he asks me.

"Niall, I can't tell you what to do. I can't take this from Harry though. I can't date someone knowing he likes my best friend."

He shakes his head. I let some tears fall down my face.

"Come here, Brooke," Niall says, pulling me into another hug. I let him hug me as I cry into his shirt. I don't even care how stupid I look.

When I'm done crying me and Niall sit down and order ice cream. I order vanilla,being the boring person I am. Niall, however, orders three different flavors with all sorts of toppings.

"Jeez, Ni, get enough to eat?" I laugh.

He shakes his head. "There could be more," he replies with a wink.

I laugh at him, feeling a lot better.

"Thanks for making me feel better? Have you decided what you're going to do with Emma?" I ask.

"I don't know," he sighs. "I guess we'll see."

He pauses and takes his phone out. 

"I guess we won't see," he says sadly. "She just...broke up with me."

"Over text?"

He nods.

"Oh, Ni." I wrap my arms around him.