Chapter 3

"Are hot dogs made of real dogs?" Mae asked out of the blue. " If you're referring to the sausage in a bun, no. It's just named a "hot dog" because of its shape. Its made of beef or pork usually."
" Oh...I want one!"
" When we get to California, I'll fix you a hot dog," I grinned, Grace tapped on my arm, " Can I meet mickey mouse!?? I've only seen him in cartoons on TV."
" Mickey Mouse....hmmm, that mouse is on a tight schedule. I'm sure we can ask him, sometime. We could probably go visit next month."
" You know Mickey?!"
" Well, of course! We've had lots of conversations, and lunch so many times! We're good friends..."
" Where does he live?"
" In a place called...Disneyland."
" Dis...ney...land?"
" That's what it's called."
" Have you been there?"
" Oh many times! Although there's more than houses of famous stars, there are amazing attractions and amusment park rides!"
" What are those?"
" Well, I cant tell ya! You'll just have to wait...it'll be big surprise."
" Disneyland!" Mae exclaimed, plopping onto my bed.
I laughed to myself and turned on the television set, and coincidentally, the Smooth Criminal music video from Moonwalker was playing. " How ironic..." I said to myself.
The girls noticed the sound from the TV, " Who's that?" asked Mae.
" That, my dear is your daddy."
Grace's eyes widened, " What?"
" You heard me."
She hesitated, " No way! Nuh uh!"
" Yeah huh," I threw it right back at her, " Come on now, I'm being serious!" She just kept shaking her head, " It can't be true!"
" Oh really? Why is that?"
" It don't sound right!"
" Well it is," I grabbed my cell phone, " And if you don't believe it's true nor possibie, I will prove it. I'll call him right now.
Grace just stared at me--I'm sure she was still in denial and also starting to think I was being serious.

***

"Hello?"
" Michael, its Jeni."
" Oh, hey! How's China?"
" It's wonderful."
" So what's up?"
" I got the girls from the orphanage this afternoon, and they don't believe that Michael Jackson is their father..." Grace crossed her arms again.
" Really?" he chuckled.
" Yeah..."
" What do you want me to do? Sing?"
" That's one idea...." I bit my lip, " If this doesn't work, she'll just have to figure out when she arrives at Neverland, you know?"
" Okay, ahhh.....how about I talk to them?
" Alright," I handed the phone to Grace, who quickly held the phone to her ear.
" Is this the real Michael Jackson.....were you dancing on TV earlier.......well then where DO you live?...oh....all the way in California.....Are you my daddy?...really?..." Grace began to widen her eyes and mouth. She didn't talk right after, so I figured Michael was telling her about getaway Neverland. " Okay daddy...." she giggled as she handed the phone to Mae, who's cheeks turned a rose red.
Soon after they were all giggling and shouting, till it was about ten thirty.