Chapter 11

Start writing your story

Evan and I talked for another half hour or so. Since it had almost been the evening and the kitchen was already starting on dinner, we offered for the Chandlers to stay for dinner. Michael kept looking at me during dinner. He seemed to be concerned about me talking to Evan for such a long time. He was itching to know, so while the kids and Evan were eating dessert, Michael and I went upstairs. 

"What happened?" He said before I could ask him what was wrong. 

" What do you mean?" I say.

" You know what I mean, Your little "conference" with Evan. What did he want."

" He wants a publisher for his upcoming film. I was honored that he came to me, I told him I would see what I could do." 

Michael gestured me into the bedroom, "Something about Evan rubs me the wrong way. From the day I met him, I feel like no matter what I offer he is never satisfied. Like last week, asking me for more money. He also asked me to publish his work a few weeks ago and I politely declined, since my advisors didn't think it was a good idea." 

"Hm, I see. I didn't know that." 

" I didn't know he was gonna go to you about this though. It's not bad per se, Publish him if you'd like. But just be careful, Jeni." 

"I'll need to sleep on it. Speaking of sleep, lets go finish those desserts and hit the hay. It's been quite the day." 

Fast foreward, it ended up not working out. He took it harshly, and I offered to provide him some producing funds and directed him to other publishers in the Orange County/Burbank area but he declined. I felt a bit helpless to him, and after I told him it wouldn't work I was surprised how much things had changed. 

Michael and I both thought his hard feelings would surpass over time. They only progressed. To a level that neither of us expected. 

Two months after declining Evan's project, we were seeing less and less of Jordan. I was doing some traveling. And when I came back, the summer of 1993, the public news was going batshit crazy. 

Evan was planning revenge, in the most tramautic way possible. Michael and I both turn on the news to see that this man has pressed chargers of child molestation onto Michael. For weeks, Michael would cry till he was physically in pain in my arms. 

Never in a million years, would I have imagined something like this to happen. 

This was turning into war.