Excuse Me, But You're Beautiful

Chapter Five

Excuse Me

            Aria woke up with a golden feeling inside of her, spreading through her being like a slow waterfall. Last night had been a dream, a night out of a fairy tale; they had fit together so perfectly, as if they were made for one another.

Sighing, she rolled over and smiled in the direction of James. But as her eyes fluttered open, all she saw was an empty bed, instead of a handsome, auburn haired man who she had given everything to.

“James?” she called out, propping herself up on her elbow and looking around the room. It was empty. Wrapping the sheet around herself like you would a towel; she checked her room, the bathroom and finally the dining room/kitchen/living room area. They were all empty.

“James?” she said again, panic seeping into her voice. She was about ready to go into a mental breakdown when she spotted a piece of paper on the kitchen counter-her heart filled with hope.

Aria,

I’m sorry

Love,

Your James

Tears filled her eyes, who knew six words could mean so much? He had left, and who knew if he was going to come back?

            Not a single letter had passed between James and Aria in the two weeks since he had left her, asleep and naked, in his bed. Aria’s heart had been hurting in a way she had never known, and she longed to be rid of it.

“Fay, there’s a handsome man staring at you outside.” Tiger whispered, startling her out of her thoughts.

Aria looked out the large shop window to see a handsome young man staring at her; he smiled and waved. She turned away.

Tiger looked shocked “Faythe! Why did you do that, he was good looking!”

She shrugged “You can have him then,”

Tiger giggled in a way that made her sound sixteen “Oh no dearie, I’m much to old for stuff like that. I have a daughter, remember?”

“She goes to collage, right?”

Tiger nodded “She’s training to be a, uh…police officer.” Tiger said “Maevve is a sweet girl; I would love for you to meet her some day.”

“That would be nice,” Aria said, thinking that if Maevve was anything like her mother than she would be in for a treat.

“Excuse me,” Aria turned to see the young man from before, smiling in a way that made her heart flutter-any girl would have felt the same.

“I’ll leave you this one,” Tiger said, winking.

Aria felt her face flush and turned back to the customer who was still smiling charmingly at her. “How may I help you?” she asked, giving him a small smile.

“I would like to buy some flowers,” he said.

She tried not to roll her eyes “Alright, what kind and for whom?”

“A girl,” he put his elbows on the counter “What are your favourite?”

“Well,” she said “It depends on the occasion; birthday, birth, death-”

“What if you’re asking someone out?” he continued to smile at her with his pearly white teeth, his brown eyes mischievous.

“We-ell, red roses with queen Anne’s lace would be very pretty.”

“I’ll take that then,”

Taking a bunch of roses, she outlined them with Queen Anne’s lace, then ferns. “Would you like to have a note?”