Twisted Realizations

Chapter Six

Twisted Realizations

            A white dove flew through Aria’s window, sending Paisley into a flurry of excitement. The dove belonged to Lily Potter, James’s younger sister, and made frequent visits to her home.

“Hello Olive,” she said, stroking the dove’s silken feathers. She took the letter from its leg and fed it a treat, settling down on the couch to read the letter. Written on thick, creamy parchment in a deep purple envelope, you could tell it was from Lily, even without noticing the dove.

            Dear Aria,

        I wish you were still at school. It’s alright since Albus, Scorpius, Rose and Hugo are still here, but you and James always made the dullest days fun! The grounds are completely covered in snow, and you can’t walk to Hagrid’s without being pummelled by a snow ball. Scorp and Albus find it very amusing to do this often.

        How is it that every time I send you a letter, it takes you forever to reply? I think Olive takes detours…the naughty bird!

        Mum can’t wait for New Years at your place, but is so incredibly sad that James won’t be there that I just know she’s crying herself to sleep often. I’ve asked Dad about it, but he won’t say a word. I think he denies it because he cries, too. I cry sometimes Aria, I miss him so much. It seems strange to have a war so far away, unlike the previous Wizard War, where Dad was in the middle of it.

        Sometimes I wonder about the war –the old and the new - and the people who are affected by it. I was awfully close to wondering how many people die every minuet, but caught myself. If I did that math equation, I would never be able to sleep. I worry all the time about James and Teddy and all my cousins over in Siberia, but I try not to.

        I miss you, too, Aria. Without your letters I would never be able to get through the day. James’s letters are alright, but don’t sooth me in any way, like yours. James misses you, Aria, and I know you’re fighting, but please write him. He really, really misses your letters and you terribly. I wish you would tell me what you’re fighting about, but as you and James both say ‘you are too young to understand, Lily’ I may be young, but I know you two, and almost nothing ever comes between you. I beg you, Aria, as a sister, write James.

Love,

Lily

Aria sighed, folding the letter carefully and putting it on her desk to reply to later. She was supposed to be getting ready for a ‘girls night out’ with her friends, but she was feeling so low…Lily’s letters usually cheered her up, but this one just made her feel worse.

Getting up, she stripped down and got in the shower, letting the scalding water turn her skin red. She lathered herself in soap, trying to rid herself of the prickly feeling all over her skin.

Pulling on her jeans and a off the shoulder black top, she fiddled with the idea of cancelling. But knowing her friends, they would strangle her. She’d already cancelled three times, saying she ‘just wasn’t up to it’, and couldn’t do it again. Her life had been busy lately; from the floral shop, Adam, school and trying not to think about James, she was almost always doing something.

A knock came at the door, but before Aria could open it, Holly was already inside. “You should really leave your door locked, you know.” She said. Holly was “Might-Be-Molly” from before, and Aria had later found out the other girls name was Kierra. The three had become fast friends along with another girl named Tania, who Aria found to be quiet a joker after she got to know her better.