Chapter • 2

We awoke the next morning to my blaring alarm. As it turns out, we had both fallen a sleep shortly after the mention of my sister. He had fallen asleep on the floor, and I fell asleep half hanging off of my bed.

I reached over and slapped the snooze button, before unplugging the alarm clock. I looked down to see Gen drifting back off to sleep, curled in a ball on my grey carpet floor. I knelt down and shook him slightly.

"If you want to go back to sleep, sleep in my bed or whatever while I make some food. It's not good to sleep on the floor..." I whispered, giving him a small, tired smile. He blinked a few times before sitting up and running his eyes.

"...okay..." He yawned, crawling into the bed and burying himself in the thick comforter. He really must not be a morning person.

"Sleep tight, I'll wake you up when grub is made." I laughed, walking towards the kitchen. I heard him mumble something incoherently, and I froze. It sounded like he said thank you.

I sighed, shaking my head, I walked into the kitchen and pulled out a bowl. I stood on my tip toes to get the pancake mix out of the pantry, then I quickly mixed it with water in the bowl. Instant pancake mix is a gift from the gods.

I grabbed two apples from the fridge and peeled them, before cutting out the core. I chopped them up into small pieces, then tossed them into a pan with butter and cinnamon. Once the apples were cooked some, I scooped them.into the bowl of pancake mix. Then, I made two large pancakes. I placed the dishes in the sink and pulled the syrup from the fridge before walking back into my room to wake Gen up.

I stopped in the doorway, though.

"I didn't take you as the type of person to have stuffed animals, Mads." He muttered, looking down at the two toys in his hands. I stared at them, too, cursing myself for forgetting that they were in the bed.

"They were gifts from my family. It's just nice to still have them, I guess." I choked, leaning against the doorway.

"There's nothing wrong with that. I was just saying that, while you're a kind person, you always seem detached from everything, so I found it odd for you to have something like these." He sighed, running a finger against them.

"Well, food is done." I rasped, prying my eyes away from him. I looked down at my bare feet, shaking like a leaf.

"Oh, alright, thanks again." He chirped, gently placing the stuffed animals back on the bed before jumping to his feet. He briskly walked past me before signing at the smell of apples and cinnamon. "Thank you so much."

"No problem. I prefer cooking for two, actually."

"Not just for the food. For dealing with ne and helping me and being kind, even though I'm pestering you and being a burden. Thank you for everything." He whispered, grabbing a plate and dousing it in syrup.

"No problem, but I think you'll regret saying that after training." I scoffed, picking up my plate and pouring some syrup on it. I grabbed a fork and a knife and sat on the couch before flicking on the tv.

---

An hour later, we had both eaten and cleaned the dishes. I sent him into his room to get ready for training, and I went to do the same.

I changed out of my pajamas and into a loose grey tee shirt and athletic shorts. I ran a brush through my short blonde hair and pinned my bangs back. I slipped on some socks and a pair of black sneakers as well, before making my bed and texting Doc good morning. She responded instantly with a string of random emojis, and I scoffed.

"You almost ready?" I called to Gen, walking into the living room, texting Doc back.

"Yeah, but what type of clothes do I wear to training? I don't really have anything except what I'm wearing now..." He sighed, poking his head out of his room.