Chapter 4

Can't sleep. Can't sleep. Can't sleep. 

I sit on the couch and stare at the Sky Zone compound, my knees pulled to my chest. So many questions run through my brain, many of which won't be answered until tomorrow, if at all. 

Is Sammi alright? Did they feed her? 

Where is Savoudi? Does Sammi even know where he is?  

I want to ask her but that would cause a few more complications and I am already dealing with a large set of those. I try to focus on something else, something positive. A few seconds pass by before Midu's face forms itself in my memory. I nod, pleased with my self for thinking up such a positive thought so fast. 

I can hear his velvet voice now. "Enough questions, Ms. Rain." 

He sure wanted me off the compound. 

I sip ginger tea maidbot stirs, hoping to settle me enough so I can finally get some sleep but the task is impossible. It isn't long before Sammi and the scavenger's name replaces Midu's voice and face. I close my eyes and rock back and fourth. 

What?

What is it that you want fro me?

I think to myself but am not sure who the questions are towards. It doesn't matter because though my mind is very loud, the apartment is quiet and insanley clean. Cleaning was the only thing I could do that kept me a little distracted right after I came home from work. Some days, I purposely left the clothes messy so that I would have something to fix if I start thinking too much very soon. 

Without thinking twice, i get up and slide into my grey jumpsuit. I strap on my black waistband and throw in a reader and some reading chips. I had to find Savoudi before they found him and did him harm. I don't know where I was going or where he could be, I just knew he had to be out there somewhere. 

I want to go and ask Sammi but I've already made myself look very suspicious speaking to her, even if I was pretending to be angry. Going there in the middle of the night would definitely cause heads to turn. I brush my hair up into a ponytail of curls and take a brief look in the mirror. 

Stupid.

This was too obvious. A government official running around at night in uniform. Anyone seeing me would not know that I work in the lab because we are not the only officials that wear grey jumpsuits, some forms of law enforcement do too. I decide not to take the risk of being questioned and change to a sleek black shirt and black pants. The Millennial's flag is black, silver, red and blue so any normal commoner wore that very often if not all the time. 

I slide the reader and reading chips into my pocket and finally head out at 2 A.M. 

The air is a little chilly but the adrenaline in me doesn't allow me to focus on it long. It is dark outside with a few street lights and 24 hour stores still open. Aside from that, there are very little people on the road. Where to go? Where to go?

I begin walking to Sammi's house, the place where she tried to hide, the place where I broke the law, the place where she got arrested. Someone there would have to know where Savoudi is. 

It takes me 30 minutes to walk away from the city and into the small town. If I thought it was dark in Central Millennium, it was extremely dark here. I curse under my breath. I was struggling to see anything at all, even with my eyes adjusted to the blackness. 

I opened my palm and used the light from my phone, shining it on the house numbers considering all the houses looked exactly the same. I am light and my footsteps are quiet, the last thing I wanted to do was draw attention to myself. I make it to 251 Canva st and take a deep breath.