Chapter 5

I grab some coffee on the way to Sky Zone and manage to gulp it down before entering the lab. Security check was normal protocol so I don't understand why I jumped when the lasers came out to scan me and Veronica's voice came out. I put my hand to my chest and take a few deep breaths. 

Don't be jumpy, jumpy is never good. They will suspect it something.  

The large chrome doors to the lab opens and cool air greets my face. Rees sits at the computer with his left hand holding up his face while he types with his right. When I enter he turns to look at me. His light blue eyes look tired. His entire face looked a little sagging. 

"You look terrible." I mention. 

"Good morning to you as well, Ayda." He sighs and turns his face back to his monitor. 

I look around the lab and begin to get a bit upset. Everything was out of place. All the equipment had been rearranged, there were dirty test tubes on the counter tops which is very unsafe, there were spills on the floor next to the sink. 

"Why does the place look like this?" I asked, putting on my gloves in order to clean up the mess. 

Rees sighs and shrugs. "I guess the replacement techies aren't as clean as we are." 

His voice is low and it drags. 

"Not that I care.." I begin as the garbage automatically opens so I can throw out the dirty tubes and wet napkins I used to wipe the spill. "But are you alright?" 

I hear a struggled laugh. 

"If you don't care, why ask?" 

I wash my hands and splash some water on my face. I should be the tired one, I'm the one that stayed up all night rescuing children. 

"Forget it." I dismiss. 

"I couldn't sleep, nothing new." He mumbles. 

I noticed that there was something in me that was mad at Rees but I couldn't remember where the small feeling had come from. Why did I not like him more than usual? A few minutes go on as we analyze and prepare other samples left over from the temporary techies. Any work the temporary techies did, myself and Rees had to do over because something was done wrong or incomplete. As 9 A.M neared, both Rees and I began to wake up completely. It was soon time to analyze Sammi's DNA. I want to speak to her in private but I know that is impossible to do before she gives blood for us to test. 

I realize momentarily why I am secretly mad at Rees and I bring it up as we walk to the basement of Sky Zone. 

"What happened yesterday, when you arrested the girl?" I asked, looking at his face to see if he would lie to me. I pretended I didn't know her. 

"She was  resisting so we pushed her down and arrested her." He answers me with no care in his voice. 

"You pushed her down?" I ask in a small voice. He held the outside door open for me and I walked through. 

"Yes, she was resisting arrest." He answered defensively. 

"What about the soldiers? Why didn't they do it?" I question him but I can see him getting angry with me. 

"They were waiting outside and we were inside the house. What is this interrogation about?" Rees stops in his tracks and stands in front of me. 

"Just seems a little harsh, she's a small girl, there was no ne- " He looks at me like I have grown five heads. 

"She's a strong girl who would have been in the comfort of her own home had she not resisted arrest." He states sternly. 

We are face to face now and I no longer have anymore questions for him. I see him turning into something I can't stop. If that's what the government wanted, they were getting it. A robot. I missed him already, though parts of the old him were sometimes still here with me.