Chapter 8

Work is an entire compound of chaos but the government officials seems to make everything seem more under control than it is, with their sparkling teeth and great hair. They sweet talk and charm every panicked employee down to an understanding and calm one. I've never seen anything like it. Rees and I continue our normal jobs in the lab and thankfully stay out of the mess of Sky Zone. I haven't seen Izzy yet, but I am sure I owe her an apology. 

Rees seems to be in darker spirits today, which doesn't surprise me. I often remember that the government owns him now and so if they are angered and frustrated, so is he. The day wraps up and trained hackers are walking around Sky Zone in dark green jumpsuits, possibly trying to figure out what happened yesterday. As I am walking through the lobby, on my way home, I hear a smooth and deep voice call to me. 

"Miss. Rain." He almost hums my name. 

I turn around to see Captain Tinibu in a jet black shirt and army pants that hang off his waist perfectly. His upper arms struggle to break through the shirt and free themselves. His ID swings around his neck and he is not wearing a smile like I had hoped. 

"Hey Midu." I say casually. 

"I am the Captain of the Army, you have to address me better than that." He sings. 

I stand straight, puff out my chest and salute him. "Captain, Midu Tinibu sir! Yes, sir! No, sir! Maybe si-" 

His hand covers my mouth and a smile plays on his lips. 

"You enjoy causing trouble?" He asks me looking around the lobby to see if anyone was paying any attention to us. 

"You'd be very surprised... sir." I say with a smile. 

His face returns to its hardened state and I wonder briefly what's on his mind. 

"Is everything alright?" I ask, confusion on my face. 

"It's just been really tense today and we've been on standby. I'm just a bit tired." He says softly. 

I nod in understanding. Were they not letting them sleep? Were they out all night looking for the scavenger as well? I thought they were training. 

"What do you mean by standby?" I ask, folding my arms. 

"Well we are soldiers of our Solid Sector but when we are here, if they need us, we also have to be ready. We are running on little sleep and still training so our energy is drained." He explains. 

"Can't handle it, Captin?" I say stressing the last word. 

He looks at my and smiles a smile that doesn't reach his eyes. He was handling it better than many of the other army men, slumped on the truck, falling asleep on each other. 

"Can we talk tonight? Will you be busy?" His eyes are set on mine and his voice is low. 

This didn't seem like a date, it more seemed like something secret, Like if we didn't talk tonight I wouldn't be prepared for what's coming. I look at him serious now. 

"Where and what time?" I ask looking around. 

"Close to midnight, by the cranes at the edge of the city. You know, by Sanford St?" He questions. The name of the street catches me off guard. I purposely hadn't been over there in years. My old house was on Sanford street. They were rebuilding but the place was still mostly rubble and iron outlines of buildings. I try to hide my emotions towards the place I know Midu probably picked at random. Somewhere no one could hear or see us, or even care if they did. The last place I saw my Mother.