Chapter 7

I use my finger print to open the steal door to my apartment and upon my entrance I can see a small head of curls in the living room couch. I smile relieved but not surprised. His big silver eyes turn around to look at me. He waves casually and places another apple slice into his mouth. 

"Hey, little guy." I say walking over to him. I ruffle his hair and he pays me no mind. 

Izzy walks into my apartment and closes the door behind her. Her eyes explore the small and nicely decorated living space and she looks amazed. 

"Wow. This is really nice. You live alone?" She asks, sitting on the couch next to Sav. 

"Yea, just me." I answer, pulling a few fruit punch bottles from the refrigerator. 

"Don't you get lonely?" Izzy asks looking at me. 

I thought about it briefly then shook my head. I liked my own company. I often didn't know it was a problem until other people mentioned it oddly. I guess after my Mother died, I learned to take care of myself quickly. After all, I was all I had. Just me and the government that continued looking out for me to this day. 

"I'm not alone now." I smile sheepishly at Izzy and then Sav. Sav was still glued to the television. It was one of the kids channels I never got around to watching and now I was too grown up to experience it. My childhood was built on other things. 

Izzy stared down at Sav with calm eyes.

"Hi, I'm Izzy." She introduces herself and sticks out her hand, much like she did earlier. 

"Hi." His small voice replied. He doesn't shake her hand but he offers her an apple slice. 

"Wow, I can have one? You're so kind." She takes the apple slice and chews it delighted. Sav smiles and gives her another. 

"I'm okay now, all full." Izzy answers laughing. "Thank you Savoudi." 

"It's Sav." He corrects. His eyebrows point down and it seems he has developed a clear distaste for his full name. 

Izzy looks at me shocked at his maturity. 

"Okay, Sav. My bad." She apologizes. 

I sit next to them in the couch and change the channel to the news. Sav looked at me momentarily and didn't complain. 

"Were you, alright today all by yourself? You did such a good job." I say wiping apple pieces from his cheeks. He nods and smiles lightly at me. 

"Your sister, Sammi is doing great. She asked about you and I told her you were here eating up all my food." I added tickling him. He giggles and pushes my hands away. He offers me an apple slice and I kindly deny. 

As I was playing with Sav, I hadn't noticed that Izzy was now staring at the TV in complete terror. I took a look for myself as a news reporter was on the sidewalk right in front of Sky Zone doing her broadcast. 

"Investigators say that the black out was a system response to possible hackers. Many know that Sky Zone is a very private and secure compound with multiple levels of checks and balances and diverse computer programs made specifically for protecting information. It is possible that an outside source might have gained access to information using codes only government officials have knowledge of, and used this access to tamper with tests being ran in the facility. This is especially dangerous as in previous news, a four year scavenger has not been found. The four year sca-" 

I switch the TV back to the kids program and watch Sav's face light up instantaneously. 

"Why'd you turn it off?" Izzy begins to get frustrated.