Chapter 10

"Grandma!" Sav's face lights up as my maidbot sends a blurry hologram of Maddie and his Grandmother. 

With the code specific to the cell phones, holograms were possible through the maidbot. Izzy attached an old surveillance camera to the maidbot to provide the other phones with a small screen containing Sav's face. 

Sav showed them his new toys and called them when I made him macaroni, Maddie didn't seem too thrilled she wasn't eating macaroni. 

"Did you shower today, young man?" His Grandmother asks. 

Sav nods and lifts up his arm then leans into the maidbot. 

I hear his grandmother making sniffing sounds. 

"Mmmm good boy." She laughs.

I laugh along with Sav. 

Sammi's face was in the camera now, I could tell because he screamed and tried to hug her hologram. 

"Hey little guy." Her voice is sweeter than Izzy and I have had the chance to hear it. 

"You're gonna be home real soon and i'll get you all those kisses you've been missing, huh?" 

Sav smiles. "Ok, Sammi. I love you." He says. 

There is silence as the reception withers. Their power was going out as sunset neared. 

"I love you too. Talk to you tomorrow." She says as the connection breaks up. 

Maidbot ends the hologram and Sav stares at a blank screen. He pushes the call button, hoping to reconnect and when it doesn't reconnect he looks distressed. 

I run over quickly, attacking him with tickles. 

"Woahhh! It's the tickle monster! You weren't watching your back, Sav! That's what happens!" 

He screams and laughs as I pin him to the carpet. He struggles and finally breaks free and runs into the bedroom. 

"I'm gonna get youu!" I say in my best monster voice. 

He shrieks again and runs into the closet. 

I play with him until he is so tired he begs to fall asleep. Until his little mind is occupied with little kid things. Because the reality of his world is too cruel for him to focus on. 

My palm twitches, I press the middle and it opens a text message. 

It's Rees. 

"The government is ordering a Millennial shut down until the scavenger is found. I think it goes into effect in two days. No one will be allowed to leave their homes and everyone must comply with testing. We sure have our work cut out for us now..." 

I close the message, and attempt to swallow but my throat is dry.