Chapter 1

I walk along the hallways of Sky Zone, one of the most important buildings in the Millennial Sector. The building was gifted its name due to the light feeling of flying you get as soon as you enter. Windows stream from a 20 story high ceiling, right down to the lower level of the first floor and it seems as if each chrome floor is hovering. The building is not white, but chrome colored. Everything from the walls to the tiles on the floor. I hold on to the railing and look down over the glass that prevents me from falling over. The people resemble small ants on the first floor and the height begins to make me dizzy. 

"Ayda." I hear a male voice call my name and look up immediately, pretending not to be idle

"Yes, sir." I answer politely. I look at Paul Wright in his black and fitted jumpsuit. His face battles with being Asian or European. His eyebrows point down, possibly confused at what I am doing. 

"What are you doing?" He asks, looking over the railing himself. 

"Nothing, sir. I'll get back to work. I'm sorry." I say easily. We were taught to tell the truth here, obey anyone above us. Speak to one another with respect. Be friendly and never envious. Everyone else seemed to conform to these rules so easily. 

Paul nods his head, but his face still looks confused as I walk away from him and back to the labs. I stare into the wall where there are eye shaped indentations, the scanner comes alive and beeps as a green light flashes into my pupil. 

"Enter, Ayda Rain." Says the robotic voice. 

The door opens and a series of other doors open along with it as I come close to them. As I approach the heavy and grey lab door, I set my feet on the footprints indented into the floor and again another scanner is activated. A green bubble of lasers enclose my body for a few seconds. 

"Checking for weapons." The robotic female voice says. 

"No weapons." I hear a beep.

 "Checking for mobile devices. No mobile devices." 

"Checking for Millennial badge of honor." 

"Badge, cleared." 

The bubble made of lasers, disappear from around me and the lab doors pull apart and close as soon as I step into the facility. 

"Welcome Ayda." The female robotic voice says.

I usually don't respond to her, even though you can. As a little girl, I thought the robots were real. I thought they could feel like us and I would always respond out of fear of not being polite, or pretend fear, anyway. 

I worked at the Lab of Human Genetics. This lab was the most feared place in many parts of the world, because it decided your fate. It decided a number of things if you were a Solid, posing as a Millennial. It decided deportation, death, marriage, paternity. I liked working here for very few reasons. For one, it was a well respected job by all Millennials, it paid well and it proved that you were smart with good morals. I struggle with my Morals, though I was taught the same morals as everyone else in this Sector. I also struggle with sleep, something new and improved sleeping tablets have been helping me with. 

It's hard to achieve REM after you analyze lab results and see that you will be the reason someone else is deported. Most of the time when the results come threw, I no longer look at the names, I just send them to the Administrative part of the building. I walk over to the centrifuge and slide in more blood samples, making sure the amount of blood in each tube, matches the amount in the tube across from it. As I set the timer to 20 minutes, I roll my chair over to the computer desk and begin analyzing the already sequenced DNA readings, all the time avoiding the name at the top left corner of the screen.