Chapter 12

Sunday morning comes quickly and I get some sleep with Sav's head laid on my chest. Izzy never went home, I let her sleep in the couch that pulls out to be a mattress. I realize as I lay awake that within just a few days, my house has gone from empty to full. 

Has my intolerance for our government provided me with new friends or was I bound to meet these people anyway? 

I come to the conclusion that it is definitely my intolerance and disobedience for my government. A part of me worries and the worry places itself with all the other worries in my brain. 

Will hiding Sav work? If it doesn't then what? Is his family safe? 

I relax to his slow breathing and his head moves with the rise and fall of my chest. In such short time I had grown to love this boy like he was my own brother. 

He probably is. 

Izzy's voice jumps into my head and I rub my eyes to cancel her out. I know that this is why I am dedicated to the mission. I know that a part of myself hides in this family. I understand that I am probably putting myself through this turmoil because I miss my Mother and have self identity issues.

 I get that. 

I have already psych evaluated myself many times. I just choose to ignore it. The faster Izzy realizes this, the better our friendship will be. While training for the lab technician job, I had to go through a simulation of my fears and insecurities. The 3 minute simulation took me months to complete because I kept failing the part where my Mother and I still live on Sanford st and the building begins to collapse, and the floor above us begins to break into large pieces of material, crushing the furniture and then my arm. I failed because as the building collapsed and as the ground slipped away from my own feet, I could hear my Mother's voice calling my name. Screaming it because she can no longer see me. 

With the loud impact of the ground collapsing, the feel of my bones breaking as parts of the used to be ceiling fall onto me, all I can hear is quiet. She doesn't call for me anymore, no one calls for me anymore. 

I come back to reality and realize that I have been staring at a blank space on the ceiling for many minutes. I take a few deep breaths and clear my throat, hoping it would in return clear my head. 

I press the middle of my palm and the time, date and weather are displayed before me. I write out a message to Sammi who I tell of my plan to hide Sav. She and the rest of the family want to see him before he is hidden so I ask Izzy to go into work early and divert the cameras by my house so I can sneak them in for a couple minutes. 

After making breakfast, which Izzy literally inhales like a vacuum, she dresses in my grey jumpsuit and heads out eager to participate in my upside down life of law breaking. We decide on a specific times to divert the cameras. Cameras not only in my building, but along the path Sammi and Madie have to travel to get here, we agree on the time they need to get into my building which lays at the heart of the city; 12:05:05 to 12:05:40. This 35 seconds would give them enough time to walk up the pathway and into the building. 

I text it to Sammi and buzz the door open at 12:05:05, within seconds of the time allotted she is at my door. She looks around and pushes Madie into my home, then enters herself, I lock the door. 

"Where's your Grandmother?" I ask almost sad. 

Sammi shakes her head. " She's too old to travel in the allotted time Izzy texted me, we had to leave her." 

I let out a breath. I forgot how old the Grandmother was. The time Izzy gave them to enter my building was in relation to other specific times that Sammi would be traveling to my house. As Sammi traveled, Izzy monitored any camera in her path and diverted them before Sammi and Madie came into their  view. The closer Sammi and Madie got to the city, the more cameras Izzy was responsible for. I knew she was in the Lab going crazy enjoying every moment of it. I took Sammi's phone and read Izzy's text.