Chapter 7. "I think I'm in a triangle too..."

Caleb's POV

I got into the car and Mom asked me how the tryouts were. All I said was great and didn't talk to her for the rest of the ride.

All I could think about was Katie. She seemed odd at the tryouts, like she was avoiding me. Maybe she was tired, like she said, but I wasn't really buying it. I've known Katie for years and I know how to tell when she's lying, but last night was hard to tell.

Was there another guy? Was she feeling bad for Sydney so she was trying to be a good friend and let Syd take me back? I was getting sick of all these unanswered questions flying in my head, so I decided to text Katie.

C: Katie what's going on?
K: what do you mean?
C: u were acting strange at the tryouts, is everything ok?
K: yeah everything's great
C: u sure?
K: positive. Anyways I gtg see u tomorrow
C: okay ily
K: lyt

I sighed and plugged in my phone. I felt like she was avoiding me again, but why?

•••

Katie's POV

About an hour after I got home I was doing math when Caleb texted me. He was asking me what was going on and if I was okay, and I lied by saying yes. I wasn't sure who I liked anymore; Caleb or Luke?

I still have feelings for Caleb, but now I've all of a sudden got feelings for Luke. He and Caleb are a lot alike, so that's probably why I started falling for him.

That's when I decided what to do.

'I'm gonna regret this.' I thought as I texted Caleb back.

K: Caleb?
C: what's up?
K: idk how to say this, but, I think I'm starting to have feelings for someone else...
C: oh
K: I'm really sorry! Truly I am! But maybe we need to take a break. Maybe I can see this person for a while and you see Sydney or someone else for a while.
C: I guess
K: I'm so sorry! Do you forgive me?
C: see you at school tomorrow I gtg
K: Caleb wait!

He left the message on read. I started to cry a little, but quickly wiped away my tears so Brennan couldn't hear me. He's a great brother, but I hate it when he gives me love advice. Sure, he's been dating Annie for almost two years, so he knows what he's talking about, but still.

Brennan walked in anyway. "Hey, Katie, can you help me with...hey are you okay?"

I shrugged and wiped away my tears.

"Tell me." He wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

"I've been dating Caleb for a few days now, and I thought I loved him. But then I was talking about Luke to a girl who likes him, and then I realized I have feelings for him..." I said.

Brennan sighed. "You told me Caleb was caught in a triangle. I'm not sure if he is now, but I know you are. You need to make a decision."

"I-I kinda did." I began to explain how I basically broke up with Caleb for a while so I could ask out Luke, which I haven't done yet.

"Oh, gosh, Katie. You've gotten yourself in a huge mess." Brennan said.

"I know." I mumbled. "But I'll fix it!"