Chapter 9. "I think we started World War III when we walked away."

Katie's POV

I tried as hard as I could to stay home from school Monday. I placed a warm heating pack on my head for an hour and pretended to have a fever, which didn't work. I also pretended to have a bad cough, which Mom didn't buy again.

So I had to go to school.

She dropped me off and I walked in miserable. I tried to hide it, though. When I got to my locker I saw Caleb and waved. He looked at me for half a second before walking off.

"Caleb! Wait!" I called after him, but he ignored me.

I decided not to chase him or continue calling his name because it made no difference; he was never going to forgive me.

Then I saw Luke walk by. I waved at him, too, but he just kept walking.

Then I saw Sydney.

"Syd! Hey!" I called as I ran alongside her.

"I was forbidden by Luke and Caleb to talk to you." Sydney said as she walked faster.

"Listen, Syd." I said but she kept walking faster. I sighed and grabbed her arm and pulled her aside, my grip so strong she couldn't move.

"What the heck do you want from me?" She asked, clearly annoyed.

"I just want you to tell Luke and Caleb that I'm sorry. Please. Tell them that I know I made a huge mistake and that it was wrong for me to just dump one guy for the other. Please tell them that I love them both with all my heart, and I'll need time to decide who I love more. Please, that's all I want." I said with tears.

Sydney rolled her eyes. "Why can't you tell them that yourself?"

"Because they won't even talk to me or wave to me, Syd!" I exclaimed.

Sydney sighed. "Fine, I'll try. But why didn't you ask Annie to tell Caleb that?"

"Because she hates me for breaking Caleb's heart."

Sydney nodded, and when the warning bell rang she ran off. I felt bad for keeping her there because her first period is on the other side of campus, but this had to be done.

When I got to class the bell had already rang. Señora Rodriguez cleared her throat when I opened the door. "Señorita Katie, detention after school. My room." She handed me a yellow slip.

I sighed and stuck it in my pocket as I sat behind Caleb. He didn't even look at me when I walked by.

It was so hard not to play with his hair. Then at one point I started twirling it and stroking it. Caleb turned around and snapped in annoyance, "What are you doing? Quit it, I'm not your boyfriend!"

"Señor Caleb, no talking in class unless you have been chosen to! Detention after school here, too." Señora walked over and slammed a yellow slip on his desk.

Caleb turned around and glared at me. "You happy? You got me detention."

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

"One more word out of your mouth you'll have two days of detention, Señorita Katie!" Señora shouted as she stormed back to her whiteboard.

I sighed and placed my chin in my hand. Today was going to be a terrible day.

•••

Caleb's POV

At lunch Katie tried to sit with me. I was just eating peacefully and listening to music on my phone when she sat next to me and Luke, Sydney across from us.