Chapter 11. "Nothing lasts forever."

Luke's POV

When Katie picked Caleb I was so relieved! Of course, I didn't really show it on my face because I didn't want her to think I didn't care about her; of course I do, but not as much as I care for Veronica.

After Katie said she chose Caleb, I left and found Veronica at the front of the school. I smiled and walked next to her.

She looked at me for half a second before looking away from me. She seemed upset.

I placed my hand on her shoulder. "Hey, you okay?"

Veronica turned to face me. "You've been ignoring me ever since our study date. Why?"

I hesitated. "I really like you, Veronica. But at that point I wasn't sure how I was feeling. But I realize that I love you. I love you! Not Katie or any other girl. You."

Veronica looked me in the eye. She smiled and then placed her hands on my cheeks and kissed me.

I kissed back and wrapped my arms around her waist. We kissed for a few minutes before a throat cleared behind us.

I pulled away to see Caleb and Katie standing in a corner. Katie was covering her mouth, trying not to laugh, as Caleb stood next to her smirking with his hands behind his back.

"I gotta go. I'll text you later." Veronica kissed my cheek before leaving.

Caleb whistled as he and Katie got closer. "Wow. Looks like Luke got a girlfriend!"

"Same to you." I said as he wrapped his arm around Katie.

She smiled. "No hard feelings, right?"

I laughed. "Are you kidding? Didn't you just see me make out with Veronica?"

They laughed.

"Hey, let's go get smoothies?" Katie suggested.

We all agreed and headed across the street to a smoothie place.

Little did we know, Sydney was there.

And she didn't know Caleb and Katie were together.

"Hi, sweetie." Sydney ran to Caleb and kissed him.

Caleb pushed her away. "Sorry, Syd, but Katie and I are back together again."

Sydney gasped. "WHAT?! ARE YOU CHEATING ON ME?!"

"How would it be cheating if he just told you? Wouldn't cheating mean he wouldn't tell you?" Katie asked.

"You stay out of this." Sydney pointed at her.

"Hey! You don't talk to her that way!" Caleb said as he stood in between them.

"I can do whatever I want!" Sydney shouted. Before I knew it, there was a full blown argument going on.

Then something I never expected happened.

Sydney pushed Caleb out of the way and stood in front of Katie. "You stay away from my man." Then she punched her right in the nose.

Katie's head flung back as she grabbed her nose.

"WHAT THE HECK SYDNEY?!" Caleb shouted as he stood in front of her.

"What?" She said, pretending to be innocent.

Before Caleb could hurt my sister, I held him back. Everyone was shouting. I saw Katie get up out of the corner of my eye, and Caleb got out of my grasp to help her up.

"Looks like a broken nose." Caleb said as he handed Katie a napkin. She had a puddle of blood on her jeans and on the floor.

"You okay?" I asked as I helped her up.