Chapter Eleven: Moving Day

1 month later, August

7 months pregnant

Finally! Today was the day. The day I moved out of my mother's house and into my own apartment. It had two bedrooms and a full bath; the neighbors were great, too. I was so damn excited, I could just scream. Even the worry of how would I continue to pay my rent didn't bring me down. Instead, I stood there in my almost empty room and grinned like a fool. Jared walked in the door behind me and picked up one of the last two boxes. I continued to smile.

"What are you doing, you goof?" he asked, placing his hand on my upper back.

"Smiling," I simply replied.

"You're that happy, huh?"

I nodded.

"Good. I am, too. It means I can spend more time with you," he said.

The baby started to kick when I bent over to pick up the last box in my childhood bedroom. I started to laugh because every time my baby girl kicked it felt as though someone was tickling me from the inside. Yes, my baby girl. I had finally decided to find out two weeks ago. I was so excited and I couldn't wait to meet her.

"She kicking again?" my mother asked as she came into my almost vacant room.

"Oh, yeah."

"Sophia, you do know what I'm going to turn this room into, right?" she asked as I started to make my way through the bedroom door.

"A yoga sanctuary?" I joked.

"No, a nursery for the baby for when you ever need a babysitter and she comes to spend the night with Grandma," she said, a small smile on her face.

"Oh, Mom. That's amazing! Thank you," I hugged her tightly to me and her granddaughter.

"Anytime, honey. I love you. No matter what happens, that will never change. You'll always be my baby girl, but now you're going to have a baby girl of your own," she said through her tears. I held her closer.

"I love you, too, Mommy. She's going to  be loved so much and I know I'm going to be a good mom because I was guided by a mom like you. Thank you for everything you've ever done for me," I said, still holding her tightly.

"Hey, babe, do you want me to... oh, sorry, I'll just come back later," Jared said, coming back into the room. I hadn't noticed he'd even left.

Mom pulled away and wiped her eyes, "No, Jared, it's okay. I have to go make the boys lunch anyway."

She hugged me one last time, kissed me on the cheek, and walked out of my daughter's future nursery.

"What was that all about?" Jared asked.

"Just a moment with my mommy," I replied while rubbing my hands along my bulging belly.

He smiled at me and picked up the last box at my feet, the one I had put down to hug Mom, "You ready?"

"Yeah, I'm ready," I said. Jared put the box under his arm and grabbed my hand with his free one. I looked back one last time at my childhood room. I felt saddened to know that it was no longer mine. My daughter kicked inside me. I smiled. No, it wasn't my room anymore; it was hers.