Chapter Two: A Sister Who Loves Me

1 month, 2 weeks pregnant

Two hours later I was lying in bed crying hysterically when my bedroom door creaked open. Light footsteps made their way toward my bed, but I still didn't take my head out from underneath the covers. No one should have to see me such a mess.

During my shower, I had been gifted with a feeling of freshness. Then, I had gotten out and everything hit me hard in the face and I had run to my room in tears. Dressing myself in an oversized t-shirt and shorts, I had then crawled into bed without brushing my hair. I have been here since.

"Sophia? Are you awake?" It was Devon.

She sat on the edge of the bed and she started rubbing my calf soothingly.

"Yeah," I choked out through my tears.

"I'm here for you, you know. If you need anything, all you have to do is ask," she said.

"I know," I mumbled.

We sat there in silence for a long while, the only sound in the room was my sobbing. Thankfully, Devon did the best thing she could have done: she crawled under the covers with me and wrapped me in her arms. She held me like that, all comfort and reassurance for a good twenty minutes before she spoke again.

"You wanna talk about it?" she asked hesitantly.

I knew what she'd talking about. She wanted to know about Kyle and why I hadn't told him yet. Why I didn't want to tell him. She also knew I didn't want to talk about Mom.

I nodded slowly, but said nothing.

"It's okay, Soph. I can wait, just talk when you're ready."

So I did, five minutes later I told her everything, from start to finish. Beginning to end. I told her about February vacation. I told her about Kyle breaking up with me. I even told her all of my worst fears. I told it all. I talked for what seemed like hours. Devon never interrupted, she just sat there and listened.

When I was done, I felt ten times better. Devon's rubbed my arm and whispered that it was going to be okay, that I was strong and I can get through this, and that she's always going to be here.

"You know what's kind of funny, Soph?" she asked.

"What?" I replied.

"I never really liked Kyle. I know Mom did, but I just kind of didn't, and now I know why. You deserve better than a stupid, ball dribbling, a** like Kyle. My beautiful little sister doesn't need someone who likes older woman, especially ones he most likely found on a street corner in the city."

I couldn't help it, I started laughing hysterically. Devon laughed with me. She was right, I didn't need Kyle and neither did my baby. That's not the kind of father I want my child to have, if I choose to have my baby. I do like the sound of that though. My baby. My baby. The thought made me want to smile and scream at the same time.

"Devon? Can I ask you a question?" I asked once our laughter died down.

"Of course, anything. I'm all ears," she answered.

"If I kept the baby, would you help me?" I paused and took a deep breath. I knew I was asking a lot of her right, sighing I continued, "What I mean is, if I do decide to go through with the pregnancy and keep my baby, no abortion, no adoption, would you help me? I don't think I'd be able to do it on my own."

"Of course I would, Soph, that's my niece or nephew in there," she said, placing her hand on my abdomen, "You don't even have to ask, I would never let you have to be a single mother, especially one in high school, all alone. I'm going to be here, no matter what."

She put both hands on each side of my face and gently lifted my head so I was looking her straight in the eye, "You do not have to go through this on your own. What ever you decide to do, I'll support you one-hundred percent. Got it?"

I nodded my head. Devon sighed and hugged me tightly. "I'm not going to let you down Sophia. Never," she whispered.

"I know," I mumbled back.

Devon loosened her grip and just held me. She rubbed my back and I found myself beginning to fall asleep. Before I slipped into unconsciousness, I said, "Thank you, Devon."

"Anytime, Soph. Now go to sleep. I love you," she said.

"'Kay," I whispered, "Love you too."

The words 'love you' had barely left my mouth before I was out.

***

I was sitting in a rocking chair in the middle of my childhood bedroom. Everything still looked the same as it did over ten years ago, except my toddler bed was gone. In it's place was a crib. Getting up out of the rocking chair I was sitting in, I walked toward it slowly. When I reached the edge of the wooden bars, I looked down and in the middle of the crib was a small bundle in a yellow blanket. I moved the blanket to revel what lay beneath it. I gasped.

It was a beautiful child with long, thick eye lashes, little red lips, dark brown fuz on it's head, and big blue-green eyes. My eyes. A smile tugged at my lips. A feeling of completeness and warmth ran through my body. I picked up the child. It was warm and soft and smelt just right. Caring the child, I sat back in the rocking chair and began to rock slowly back and forth.

I don't think I had ever felt at such peace. I smiled from ear to ear and soaked in my surroundings. Everything felt perfect. I looked back down at the beautiful child in my arms and smiled wider. My child. My baby.

I closed my eyes.

***

When I opened them again, I was back in my room laying in Devon's arms. It had been a dream, but at that moment I knew. I knew what I would have to do, what I wanted to do. No matter how hard it was going to be, I was going to do it. I smiled and laid a hand on my abdomen. I was going to keep my baby. I was going to be there for my child like my mother was for me. And Devon. And Travis. And Johnny. I was going to make sure my baby is loved and protected and happy. I was going to try and give my baby the world and I knew I could do it. I could do it as long as I had my family behind me.

I was going to keep my baby. I smiled again and rubbed small circles on my belly. 'I love you' was my last thought before I drifted back to sleep.