Chapter Eight: Beautiful Sunsets

4 months, 2 weeks pregnant

Once the country song had come to a close, Jared was laughing hysterically in the drivers seat and trying extremely hard to focus on the road. Focus on our destination. The destination I still didn't know about.

I interrupted Jared's laughter with a question.

"Where are you taking me? And why are you laughing?"

"You'll... see... HA... and that song... just has... HA... a lot of... meaning to me... HAHA... and the way... you sing it... HAHA," he answered between laughs.

"STOP LAUGHING! Come on Jared, it's not funny, please," I fake pleaded.

"Okay... haha... shhh... haha... we're almost there," he smiled.

"Really, why do I have to be quiet?" I questioned.

" 'Cause, now close your eyes and don't peak," he said.

Since he sounded serious, I listened and closed my eyes. I heard Jared park and close his door. Seconds later, he was opening mine. He grabbed my hand and helped me out of the car. Reminding me to keep my eyes closed tight,  he did the most shocking thing: he put his left hand on my side, slightly touching my small bump through my thin summer dress. His other hand was still clutching my right hand from the back as he lead me forward.

We stopped after about two minutes of walking. Jared released my right hand, but he still had his left hand lightly touching my waist.

"Open your eyes," he whispered in my ear.

I shivered and opened my eyes.

"Oh my gosh," I muttered.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" Jared asked.

"It's amazing," I said breathlessly.

Jared and I were standing on a beach, a beautiful expanse of lake in front of us. The sun was setting and the sky was a mixture of bright oranges, deep purples, raging reds, electric blues, and calming yellows. Jared was right, it was absolutely beautiful. On the sand a few feet from where we were standing, there was a blanket with a radio and a cooler resting on top of it.

Jared lead me, by the hand still rested on my waist, to the blanket. I was still in awe as we sat. Jared opened the cooler and pulled out a giant tub of mint chocolate chip ice cream and two spoons. Man, he really was perfect.

"That's my favorite ice cream. You're amazing, Jared," I exclaimed.

"It is? Wow. It's mine, too. And thanks, Sophia. You're amazing, too," he said.

I blushed. And I mean really blushed, like tomato red.

"Thanks," I mumbled.

Jared opened the ice cream, handed me a spoon, and dug in. I didn't hesitate; I dug in, too. Jared leaned over and turned on the radio. I smiled, more country. I love me some country.

"I love this song," I said.

"Me too," Jared said, looking over at me and smiling.

The song began. Jared moved closer to me. He was no longer eating the ice cream. He slide right next to me on the blanket and leaned back. His palms were down against the blanket, his eyes were on my face. Slowly, as the song progressed, Jared leaned toward me and I found myself leaning toward him. I was no longer eating the ice cream. We leaned in until our faces were an inch apart; I could feel Jared's breathe warm on my face. He rested his forehead against mine and looked deep into my eyes. I looked deep into his. We sat like this, looking into each others souls, for what seemed like forever. As the song was reaching it's final chorus, Jared got close enough that our noses were touching. Before I could think twice about how to react, Jared leaned in and our lips touched.

Jared and I kissed sweetly and passionately for another three country songs. When we finally pulled away, I was breathless. Kissing Jared was something I wanted to do much more of. Something I want to do under many more beautiful sunsets.