CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN

Avery Donavon

We're walking in the woods and Dane is telling me about a story his buddy from work had told him the other day. Apparently this guy came home from work one day and found a man's boxer briefs in he and his wife's bedroom. So instead of confronting her, he left them sitting at the kitchen table.

"So was she cheating on him?" I ask.
My father laughs. "Of course she was. She ended up crying to him to forgive her, but John was not having it. He told her to get out. She was stubborn at first, but then she eventually she left."
I laugh. "I guess that's what you get for cheating," He sniffs and laughs again. "So where did you say you saw it again?" I ask.
"Just over here, a few more steps," We walk further through the tall trees that surround us. The air is cold and the ground is covered in a thin layer of snow. It won't last long though. The weather will warm slightly and the snow will melt. But for now, we appreciate it. "See these tracks here," he says as he bends down. "She went this way."
I look up and follow his finger. I nod and we walk forwards a few more feet. And then we see her. She stands there so majestically sniffing the ground. "Shhh," Dane says and brings a finger to his lips. "We don't want to spook her." I nod and try to keep my steps as quiet as possible. Dane lifts up his rifle – a light brown Marlin 336C that he bought last November. He brings the rifle tight into his shoulder and sets his eye carefully to the scope. Once his sights are set and the doe is in position, he places his finger on the trigger and pulls back. It all happens so fast. The doe realizes she's been hit but she can't move. The bullet has hit her right in the chest. She topples over.
"See son," my father says. "She didn't even run. As long as you're careful, it's that simple. You'll get the hang of it in no time."