Chapter 10

I get the overwhelming feeling of stage fright, even worse than the night of the opening ceremonies. It consumes me, flooding over me and washing through my bloodstream. My stomach is in my throat, and I try not to vomit out onto the stage. I start to shake, and the feeling reaches my face, probably draining the color from it, making my blush look even more vibrant than before. I can't do this. I can't answer Caesar Flickerman's questions in front of a live audience this size.
     A huge round of applause erupts from the crowd, emanating throughout the room and echoing within my skull. It's wild, complete madness, and I feel dizzy and overcome with fear. We are told to take our seats, and I practically fall into mine.
Then the anthem stops playing and new music fills the room.
"Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome your host...Caesar Flickerman!" The crowd goes berserk as Caesar Flickerman takes the stage, his perfectly white teeth dazzling in the light. His hair, lips, and eyebrows this year are dyed dark blue, and he's wearing his signature midnight blue suit that sparkles with thousands of tiny bulbs when the light hits him.
Then the music dies down and he's reciting an introduction to the interviews, and before I can even register what he's saying, Caesar's welcoming Glimmer to the stage.
Her blonde curls seam to glisten as she walks out towards center stage. It's obvious her stylist was going for sexy, as she looks alluring in a see-through gold dress with a slit riding up her left thigh.
I have to watch how perfectly she plays the part. She portrays herself to be a lethal tribute, all while being breathtakingly beautiful on the stage. Her laugh flirtatious, but firm, her body tall and sexy, but built. I'll bet she already has sponsors lined up around the block.
Then there's Marvel, who the audience seems to think is absolutely hilarious from his jokes about the Games and how he's going to kill. I think it's very immature, and that he shouldn't be making these kinds of jokes on live television. But the crowd loves it.
Next, it's Cato's turn, and he has taken the opportunity to present himself as the most ruthless, lethal tribute in the Games. It scares me, but while I know he's deadly, he certainly doesn't come across as being particularly intelligent.
On and on through Districts 2 and 3, and then Caesar's calling my name and I find myself making my way towards center stage.
"Greetings, Fleta," begins Caesar with a smile, and I fight hard to hold his gaze, as Cordelia had previously instructed. "How are you faring here in the Capitol? It must be quite different coming from District Five, hm?"
Trying to sound like I have confidence, I say, "Yes, it is quite different here." The audience gives a little chuckle.
"What do you find the most remarkable about the Capitol?" Caesar asks.
"Oh, definitely the technology," I reply honestly. "I think it's unbelievable what you can do with technology here. I find it extraordinary; it's so interesting just to poke around and take a look at all of it and try to figure how it works." I'm trying to take on the role of being sly as I speak, incorporating little hints of it in my answers.
"Hm...so you've been poking around your quarters lately, have you?" Caesar jokingly accuses me, raising an eyebrow at the audience. This is why Caesar has made it so far with this job. He senses when a tribute tries to land on an important topic and purposely pinpoints it, helping the tribute develop a particular personality for the show.
"Maybe," I say mysteriously, giving a sly little smirk and a laugh.
"Hm, so is this your secret to winning the Games, now?"
"Yes, I'm very clever," I say with confidence. "And I can sneak around with stealth in the arena, so the other tributes better keep a close eye out."
"So it sounds like you're prepared with a certain strategy for the Games," says Caesar, nodding his head.
"I guess you'll have to find out," I say, facing the audience. They all look with wonder at each other. I've been intriguing to them with my sly personality and can only hope that some of them will be willing to sponsor me.
"So, let's go back to the reaping," says Caesar. "What was your reaction when you first got called up to the stage?"
A shudder runs through me as the memory surfaces. "I just...couldn't believe how much the odds were against me that day. I didn't know how I would ever leave Nora, my sister. But here I am now, and I can't do anything to fight it. But I'm going to do the one thing I can do."
"And what's that?" presses Caesar with interest.
I pause for a dramatic effect, take a breath, and say, "I'm going to try my hardest to win."
The buzzer sounds and the audience brakes into a big applause, and I know I've done my job well. I portrayed confidence, intelligence, and stealth all at once, exactly the way Nicolas coached me. I performed well beyond even my own standards; I didn't think I would be able to pull it off this well. But I did, and my family saw it, the whole country saw it, and now I can finally relax. The only thing I'll have to worry about is the Games itself, so at least now I've got everything else out of the way.
Caesar thanks me and I take my seat back on the top of the stage.
     "And now for the other tribute of District Five, Alec!" announces Caesar Flickerman. This should be interesting, so I sit back and await the show.
     "Good evening, Alec," Caesar starts. "So how have you been since you've arrived in the Capitol?"
     "Uh, okay I guess," he shakily replies, and its immediately evident that his nerves have gotten the better of him.
     "Okay?" says Caesar, acting confused for the audience. "That's it?"
     "Well, um..." Alec stutters.
     Caesar gives a big laugh and playfully slaps Alec on the back. "I'm just messing with you!" The crowds laughs along.
     Alec relaxes his shoulders slightly and a fake little smile spreads across his face, not reaching his eyes.
     "I know it must be difficult being a tribute, so in all seriousness, how did you feel when your name was selected at the reaping, hm?" asks Caesar.
     Alec takes a moment, trying to come up with an answer.
    Caesar sees him struggling and tries to help Alec out. "Were you upset, confused, shocked?" he says.
    "Well, yeah, I was shocked," replies Alec, not bothering to look at either Caesar or the audience.
     "You must have been," presses Caesar, looking sadly at the audience for effect.
     "Yeah," says Alec. "It's not every day you get taken from your home to go enter a fight to the death."
     That was the worst thing Alec could have possibly said right there. Now is not the time or place to be taking out your anger on the Capitol.
     Caesar laughs like it was a big joke, even though he's probably smart enough to realize it wasn't. Seeing Caesar's cue, the audiences laughs along with him. Anything to save the Capitol from looking bad.
     Alec snickers and says, "But yeah, I was definitely shocked. I mean, I couldn't imagine leaving all my friends and family. It didn't seem real." He's safe again. I can see from here his shoulders slowly moving up and down as he takes a breath of relief.
     "And what did your family say to you right before you left?" asks Caesar softly. A breath of sadness emanates from the crowd.
     "Uh...they told me they loved me and that they really want me to come home," Alec says lamely.
   "I'm sure they do," replies Caesar, wiping a tear from his eye. "Now, do you have any strategies formed for the arena?"
     "Yes, I do, but I won't say," says Alec.
     "Why ever not?" asks Caesar, stumped.
     "Because I don't want all the other tributes to know," answers Alec.
     "Oh, just a little hint. Please?" says Caesar, acting like he's in actual pain.
     "Nope, you'll just have to see," says Alec, smiling slightly.
     The buzzer rings, and Caesar wishes Alec luck. I don't pay much attention to the other tributes, trying instead to process Alec's interview. My guess is that Alec simply doesn't have a strategy and just didn't want to say it in order to avoid disappointing the tributes from Districts 3 and 10, with whom he might become allies with.
     But when it comes to Rue's turn, I find I have to pay attention. I'm curious to see what the twelve-year-old has to say.
     She reveals that she does indeed have a strategy for the Games. She plans to hop around in the trees where the others tributes can't catch her. When she tells the audience not to count her out, Caesar says, "I wouldn't in a million years."
     Thresh doesn't say much during his interview, but I guess that's part of the silent-but-deadly act he's trying to put on. With his size, it's very effective, and I'll bet he gets a few sponsors for sure.
     The only interesting thing that happens in Katniss's interview is that her dress goes up in flames, just like the cape she wore in the opening ceremonies. It can't be real fire; if it was, there would be smoke coming off of it and you'd be able to smell it. But of  course, the people of the Capitol are too ignorant to figure this out, and they think it's absolutely amazing what Katniss's stylist had done.
     Finally, it's Peeta's turn. He displays a light sense of humor and then Caesar get down to business. When Peeta is asked if he has a girlfriend back home, Peeta announces that he's in love with Katniss. The crowd goes completely bonkers; people cry, scream, even faint. But I know better; it's simply an act for the show. Although when I see Katniss blush, the look on her face suggests otherwise. Maybe they really are in love.
     When everyone finally calms down, Caesar says, "Big round of applause for all of this year's tributes of the seventh-fourth Hunger Games!"