Chapter 25

A flash of white light startles me awake. I bolt upright, smacking my hands on the hard rock beneath me. The sting of the impact brings me to my senses, and I take a deep breath, realizing that it was only a bolt of lightning that awoke me. A soft rumble of thunder rolls in from the distance.
     I can't go looking for food today—the visibility is terrible. Even if I did manage to find a source of food, possibly a berry bush or some roots to dig, I would surely not be able to find my way back to the cave. So I stay put.
    When there were thunderstorms back at home, Nora used to hide under the covers in her bed when she she was very young; only my father could coax her to come out. With every lightning bolt or boom of thunder, she would bury her face into a pillow, as if that would block out all the noise.
     The memory of home brings tears to my eyes, and I let them fall, not caring what viewers will think. It's been days since I last allowed myself to think about home. What I wouldn't give to be back in District 5, in the comfort of my own house, my own room. My tears become a steady stream, and I feel my eyes become puffy. Salty tears fall across my parched lips.
     Minutes later, I force myself to stop, to think about something else. I wipe my eyes on the sleeve of my jacket and take out my water skin, now almost empty. I take the cap off, head to the entrance of the cave, and set the water skin on the ground a few feet away, propped up on a rock. This way, I can use the storm to my advantage and accumulate rainwater to drink later; the water skin should be full in about two hours, considering how hard it's pouring.
     I eat some of my roots from earlier, leaving only a handful left. I need more food desperately, but I can't go searching for any today. Hopefully the storm is over soon.
     A faint beeping noise sounds outside the cave. At first I think I'm just imagining it, but it's definitely there. Is the sound what I think it is?
     I head outside of the cave again, searching the rocks. Right on top of the rock my water skin is leaning against, I see it—a silver parachute, with a large sack attached. My first gift from a sponsor!
I quickly grab the item and bring it back inside to the shelter of my cave, excited to open it up. Sitting down on the cold floor of the cave, I hastily undo the bag to reveal an apple, a pack of beef strips, and a block of cheese. This will be enough for today.
So Lila and Nicolas are still working to get me home. A new kind of confidence surfaces; now that I know it's not just me fighting for life, my chances of returning to District 5 are greater. Even Capitol citizens are betting on me now.
As the Games go on, the gifts become more and more expensive. It must have taken an astronomical amount of money to pay for just these three items. Probably a couple of sponsors had to chip in.
I eat the apple first, saving the cheese and beef strips for later. The sour taste of the apple floods my mouth; I can't remember the last time I had one of these savory fruits. Even at home, apples were more expensive than some other fruits. I eat it right down to the core.
The rain drums down on the roof of the cave. Water drips in from a little crack between the rocks, forming a small puddle. The periodic noise of the drops echo silently throughout the cave. The storm picks up outside, the thunder and lightning becoming more frequent, wind whipping the leaves of the trees. I can't tell what time it is since the sun is nowhere to be seen behind the dark clouds.
Come to think of it, I don't even know how many days I've been in the arena. Two weeks maybe. Thirteen days? Fourteen?
     The Games must end soon though. There are only five tributes left—Cato, Thresh, Katniss, Peeta, and myself. I wonder what Thresh , Peeta, and Cato are doing right now to protect themselves against the storm. Whatever it is they're doing, it's probably not better than my cave or Katniss' cave. In fact, the two of us are probably the safest from the storm right now, especially against the wind. Unless Peeta is in the cave with Katniss.
About an hour later, I go outside and retrieve my water skin, which is almost full to the brim. I drink half of it down, right there in the rain, and set it back down against the rock to fill up again.
I go back inside, ring out my hair, and redo it into a neater ponytail. Then I eat my block of cheese slowly to savor it.
Hours later, the anthem plays outside the cave. The sound is faint, drowned out by the crescendo of the storm. I head to the entrance of the cave to watch the projection in the sky, more for something to do, as I am not expecting to see anyone's face. There was no boom of the canon today.
The blue seal of the Capitol lights up the sky, followed by Thresh's face with "District 11" written underneath. A mixture of feelings boil up inside me. Shock that someone died today and I didn't hear hear the canon. Surprise that Thresh, one of the most powerful tributes in the arena, is dead now. Relief that I no longer have to worry about Thresh. Hope that I am now one step closer to home.
And sadness, because yet another innocent teen has died for the pleasure and entertainment of the Capitol.
     I must not have heard the canon sound because of the thunder.
     Who killed Thresh? It could have been anyone, really. Cato is certainly strong enough to overpower him, and Peeta as well. Katniss could easily shoot Thresh with an arrow, but she went into the one of these caves yesterday, and she was not in the best condition. It is very unlikely she went out to go find Thresh in this weather.
     But it doesn't matter. Either way, Thresh is dead, and now there is one less tribute I have to worry about.
I drink my whole water skin and head back inside. Wanting nothing more than to be back at home, away from the horrors of the arena, I lay my head down on the cold, hard rock and fall asleep.
**********
The sun sparkles on the tomatoes, a pale yellow glow on the red skin of the fruit. The faint smell of dirt penetrates my nostrils.
"Fleta, I was thinking we could have tomato soup for dinner, is that okay?" My mother's voice, still groggy from sleep.
I look up from the tomato bush. "Yeah, that sounds good, mom. I'll help you make it," I reply, flipping a lock of hair behind my ear. The morning sun shines in my face, and I shield my eyes with my hand.
    My mothers repositions her night dress. "Okay, thanks. And I'll have Nora run to the market with me when she gets up. We'll grab some spices for the soup." The sun shines on her red hair, emphasizing the golden tint to it.
"Alright. I'll be here," I say.
Suddenly my mother's face morphs into another familiar face, and the garden shifts into a place of equal familiarity. I stand in the arena, on a pedestal surrounding the Cornucopia. Alec is right beside me, standing on his own pedestal, silent tears streaming sown his face. He screams two words, over and over again.
"Help me! Help me! Help me!"
A look of shear terror plays across his face. His voice begins to crack, and his body shakes.
Claudius Templesmith's voice booms into the arena, counting down the seconds until the gong sounds. "Ten...nine...eight..."
"Help me! Help me!" Alec screams.
"Five...four...three..."
"Please...please!" he shouts uncontrollably.
He loses his balance and falls off the pedestal.
As soon as he hits the ground, his body is blown to pieces.