Chapter 2:Just at dream?>My first day

I woke up in a cold sweat. That dream, no, that nightmarish memory had been tormenting my subconscious ever since that day.

Was my mom still alive? Or was she long gone? These were things I would probably never know until I completed her task.

The thing is, I don't believe in this 'power of the zodiacs' nonsense she was spouting.

I just want her safe.

I walked into the bathroom and started to wash my hair, running every blonde strand under my shampoo, then conditioner. My hair got greasy so easily that I have to wash it everyday before school.

School...

I quickly grabbed a towel and them ran out of the bathroom, slipping on the floor with my wet feet.

Today was my first day of school. I was going to Ophiuchus high boarding school. Apparently it's the school that the zodiacs I'm looking for might go to. So when I moved to Star Valley, in the middle of summerto live with my dad, it's where I was enrolled.

The school has lots of girls and boys dorms, but it does have some co-ed dorms too. I've been praying not to be put in one ever since I found out they existed.

'Now that I think of it, 'star valley' and 'Ophiuchus high' seem way too obvious of places for the zodiac to be.' I thought, as I dragged on my ripped black jeans and indigo blouse and ran down the stairs, and then hurried into the kitchen for breakfast.

"Morning Celeste" My dad greeted me in a monotone voice as he walked past me in the kitchen doorway. His eyes glued to the floor in worry and pain.

Dad hadn't been the same since he found out that mom got sick. He used to be a free spirit, but now whenever I saw him he looked like a cadged bird.

Mom first showed signs of illness around a year ago, but by December it had gotten gravely worse. She has been bedridden since. When the doctor finally would let me see her in April she told me about the task I needed to fulfill and that the only way to help her was to 'find the zodiacs'.

At first I didn't believe her, I still don't believe her now. It just sounded like one of those bedtime stories you tell your kids.

But when I saw the seriousness in her eyes, I knew that even If I didn't believe her, I was going to try my hardest to complete whatever task she had set me.

Ever since that day I had been doing research about the zodiacs, searching their characteristics so that I could find them faster, in order to save my mom.

Whilst researching I found out that each of the lands that the zodiacs owned were the same names of the brightest star in each constellation. Also that the way that Taurus split the world was roughly the same amount of continents we have today, if you take away the little islands that could be due to continental drift.

"Morning" I responded. This was our daily routine ever since I came to live here at the start of summer.

I'd come downstairs, we would exchange greetings, eat breakfast, then go about our business. At the end of the day we would eat dinner and say goodnight.

I didn't feel hungry, but I knew that with school coming, I would deal with things better on a full stomach.

I looked over at the clock.

8:00am.

'oh goodie, I'm gonna be late.'

I dragged my black backpack over my shoulder and shoved a slice of toast in my mouth. My father was waiting in the car out front. I put my two suitcases in the back of the car, and brought my backpack with me to the passenger seat.

The whole ride with my father was silent, giving me plenty of time to think.

'How am I going to find these people?'