Chapter 21

It's August 29, 2022, the day before Moira starts kindergarten & I'm trying not to be emotional, but it's harder than you would think. I can't stop thinking about how fast the last five years have gone. I can't help but feel angry that Wilmer wasn't here, for this. I can't help but wish Moira was a baby again, so I could keep her in my arms, where she would always be safe. I was feeling nostalgic as I watched a video of Nick & Moira just after she turned two. Okay, maybe I was feeling sorry for myself, too. It was just hard to face the fact that my baby was growing up. I had these urges, even more so, now, since Moira was starting school, of having another baby.

When I married Wilmer, I had gotten used to the idea that I wouldn't have kids. Then I had Moira & got used to the idea that I would only have one child. When Nick & I got together, I started to fantasize about the other children I could possibly have. I never said it out loud, but it was in my thoughts, a lot. Moira starting kindergarten made me think about it even more. It was like I had empty nest syndrome, but many years earlier than I was supposed to. 

Nick & I are still together & just as happy, now, as we were, when we first got together. So much has happened over the last two years, that I don't even know where to start. We ended up moving out of the house Wilmer lived in, because the memories of Wilmer, were overwhelming & it was hard to think of it as mine & Nick's house. We decided to turn his old house into a rental estate, for parties, weddings or things like that. Marissa quit her job to manage it & she lived on the property, with her boyfriend, who was a chef. There was an entire staff that lived there & when there wasn't a party or wedding, it was a fancy bed & breakfast that people could stay in or couples could honeymoon at.

 There was an entire staff that lived there & when there wasn't a party or wedding, it was a fancy bed & breakfast that people could stay in or couples could honeymoon at

Joe & Nick were incredibly busy, these days. Joe quit teaching, so he could be a full time musician. Him & Nick became an unstoppable & in high demand, songwriting duo & were getting ready to make their own album, since they were so successful writing for other people. I was excited for them & tried not to think about the groupies & crazed female fans they would surely get after they put out an album. I was kind of used to Nick having 'fans' because he had a lot of ladies who adored him at the restaurant. He still did, because he was handsome & a charmer, so the ladies always loved him. He never gave me any reason to not trust him, though. He always made me feel like I was the only lady for him. Well, me & Moira, of course.

Nick & Joe also were in the restaurant owning business together, having bought the restaurant they both worked at, a year before, when the owner wanted to sell. Nick was a co-owner, so he didn't have to be there, anymore. He could never stay away, however & would often go to check in & see the people he used to work with. Joe had found another restaurant that him & Nick were purchasing & fixing up, hoping to have it up & running by the spring. It was on the ocean, so it was an ideal location & I saw the ideas Nick had for it, so I knew it was going to be gorgeous. 

Things were going well for all of us. Life was great. I had no complaints. I still ran the company Wilmer had started, but did most of my job from home. I would scout talent for the label, but I traveled for that or sat in the comfort of my own home to look online for potential new artists. Basically, I wanted to be a hands on mom for Moira & that's exactly what I did, since my job allowed me to do so.