Chapter 26

Nick started to shake his head after I mentioned Moira staying in Mrs. White's class, so I took a deep breath. "I do not want that woman teaching my daughter." Nick said, pacing the floor.

"Nick, she's an amazing teacher. Moira loves her & she shouldn't be punished because of your past."

"My past?" He turned to look at me, his expression confused. 

"Yes, your past. Fran is your past, but she's Moira's teacher, in the present & she's still my friend."

"Your friend? If she's your friend, why did you lie to her?" Nick asked, licking his lip then sucking it in, in a cocky matter.

I scowled at him. "What did I lie to her about?"

"When you told her you & Wilmer were separated when Moira was conceived."

My mouth gaped a little, then I rolled my eyes. "I just said that because I didn't think I needed to go into all the details at that moment. I'll tell her the truth later."

"You don't need to tell her the truth. She doesn't deserve an explanation. It's our business & now that Wilmer is gone, I don't see why we need to tell strangers the truth."

I shrugged my shoulders & frowned. "Maybe I won't tell her. You're right. It's not important. It's a minor detail & I shouldn't disgrace Wilmer's memory." I sighed, annoyed that Nick had changed the subject. "Now, back to Moira. We can't take her out of the class that she has been in since the beginning, where she has friends. None of this is her fault & she's not going to understand why she's being put in another classroom."

Nick looked up at the ceiling as his hands went to his waist. He let out a long breath, then looked at me. "Fine. I won't remove her from Mrs. White's class." The way he said her name almost made me laugh, because he sounded so immature.

"Good."

"Are you really going to stay friends with her? I mean you're not going to keep hanging out with her outside of school, are you?" Nick asked, tilting his head to look at the ground.

I blinked a few times, surprised by his question. I liked Fran & wanted to stay friends with her, but I hadn't thought about Nick not approving of it. "She didn't do anything to me. And what she did to you was six years ago, Nick. Isn't it time you forgave her & let go of the hatred you have toward her & Kyle?"

Nick's eyebrows came together, in annoyance & he sighed as he shook his head. "Why should I? They fucked me over. They lied to me for over a year. They were fucking behind my back for longer than I care to admit. She accepted my proposal, even though she was fucking my best friend, behind my back."

"I understand you were hurt. What they did was wrong, but I don't think they wanted to hurt you. They both cared about you."

Nick let out a sarcastic laugh as he looked at me, sideways. "Cared about me? Well, they had a funny way of showing it."