Nice Bear

Scene 4

▪▪▪▪

It's been a few months since Thorin kissed me. Traveling with him has been... fun. He tries to protect me during fights. Thorin is generous, but he keeps his distance. I think he is scared to get too close. The journay is a dangerous task. It would be a pity to mourn over a love one along the way.

▪▪▪▪

We were waiting for Bilbo. Gandalf sent him to check out the land to see if it is clear of Orcs or what not. We were being chased by Azog and his small gang, but I think we lost him.

"How close is the pack?" Thorin asked Bilbo as he came running to us.

"Too close. A couple of leagues, no more. But that's not the worst of it.

I stepped forward. "Have the Wargs picked up our scent?"

"Not yet. But they will do. We have another problem." Bilbo huffed, trying to catch his breath.

We all gathered around him.

"Did they see you?" Gandalf questioned. "They saw you."

"No, that's not it. I'm trying to tell you there is something else out there." Bilbo announced, pointing.

Thorin pulled me close.

"What form did it take? Like a bear?" Gandalf questioned.

I think he knows what's out there.

"Ye-- Yes, but bigger. Much bigger." The hobbit replied.

I stepped away from Thorin's grasp. "You knew about this beast?"

"I say we double back." Bofur frantically suggested.

Thorin stepped forward. "And be run down by a pack of Orcs?"

"There is a house..." Gandalf spoke, breaking the voices of the others. "It's not far from here, where we might take refuge."

"Whose house?" Thorin coldly asked. "They friend or foe?"

"Neither. He will help us or... he will kill us." The Wizard replied.

"What choice do we have?" Thorin questioned.

Just then a loud scream of the bears howled ringed near.

▪▪▪▪

We ran the whole way. Running through the mountains to grasslands and flowers. Zooming through a small patch of woods, the howl got closer. I. The break of the trees you could see a house. Bombur must have been scared because he was running fast then all of us. We ran through the front gate and to the door, but it was locked. Through the trees of the woods, a big black bear bursting through. I screamed, trying to run faster. Thorin opened the door and we all fell in, trying to push it shut. The bear tried to stick his head in, but he was no match. All of us managed to push it shut and lock it.

"What is that?" Ori asked, frightened.

A sly smile laid across Gandalf's old face. "That is our host. His name is Beorn. And he's a skin-changer."

I looked up at Thorin with concern buried in my eyes.

"Sometimes he's a huge black bear. Sometimes he's a great strong man. The bear is unpredictable, but the man can be reasoned with. However... he is not overfond of Dwarves." Gandalf said, looking around.

For the night we rested there. I slept next to Thorin, who tried wrapping me in his arms. But I refuse. He wanted to have sire I was safe. Even though, he knows I can protect myself.

I was peacefully asleep when there was a feeling as if a spider was crawling on me. Jolting awake, I quickly sat up. Thorin immediately stood and backed up. Then he started to softly laugh.

"You are so easy to freak." He spoke with a smile. 

I childishly glared at him.

"Are you hungry? There is food on the table." Thorin offered me his hand.

Still glaring, I took it.

I think everyone else could smell the food because they were up and ready. Besides Bilbo. He was stilling sleeping away like a baby in the hay. It wasn't long after that he joined us.

Thorin sat against the large post. One leg on each side of the bench. His thick arms crossed over his chest. His face was cold and dark looking.

Beorn, the bear-man was large. Thick with muscle. He was very tall and hairy. His heavy looking arms were covered in dark hair that sprung up and all over his face. Dirt found a home on Beorn's chest and skin. But I really like his eyes apart from his deep voice. His eyes were a pretty yellow color. They were striking.

I looked over at Thorin, his face still angry.

"So you are the one they call Oakenshield," Beorn said, pouring me some milk. He turned and went over to the mantle.

Thorin looked up at him but quickly turned his gaze back to nothing.

"Tell me... Why is Azog the Defiler hunting you?" The bear-man said, looking over his shoulder.

My baby's face looked worried.

"You know of Azog?" His words dark, but full of fear. "How?"

"My people were the first to live in the mountains... before the Orcs came down from the North." Beorn's facial expression seemed serious. "The Defiler killed most of my family. But some he enslaved. Not for work, you understand, but for sport."

I look Beorn over. His eyes were remembering the past. Then I noticed that Beorn had a broken shackle on his wrist. I quickly looked down and continued eating.

"Caging skin-changers and torturing them seemed to amuse him." Beorn finished explaining.

The Bilbo popped in. "Are there other's like you?" He questioned.

"Once there were many," Beorn replied.

"And now?"

"Now there is only one. You need to reach the mountain before the days of autumn."

Beorn has a sad story. I kinda pity him. It must really hurt to now that you are the last of your kind. He must really hold an overwhelming grudge against the Orcs.

Gandalf sat up. "Before Durin's day falls. Yes."

"You are running out of time," Beorn informed.

"Which is why we must go through Mirkwood."

I suddenly looked up at the sound of that. I've heard bad things about the place.

"A darkness lies upon that forest. Fell things creep beneath those trees. There is an alliance between the Orcs of Moria and the Necromancer in Dol Guldor. I would not venture there except in great need." Beorn's tone made him sound wise.

It seems like this is the first Gandalf heard of this...

"We will take the Elven Road. That path is still safe." Gandalf replied.

Thorin swung his leg over and got up. He walked away because the elves have a part in the plan.

"Safe? The Wood Elves of Mirkwood are not like their kin. They're less wise and more dangerous. But it matters not." Beorn was watching Thorin.

"What do you mean?" Thorin questioned behind me.

"These lands are crawling with Orcs. Their numbers are growing. And you are on foot. You will never reach the forest alive." Beorn's voice sounded like a low growl. He got up and started walking around the large table. "I don't like dwarves. They're greedy and blind."

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about things...

Beorn picks up a small mouse and holds it close to his hairy face. "Blind to the lives of those they deem lesser than their own. But Orcs I hate more. What do you need?"

Thorin told Beorn what we need and he did not disappoint. We got enough ponies for all of us. Quickly the sixteen of us gathered our sacks and packs and headed off. The Orcs weren't far behind, so we had to move fast.