The Zack Attack

I kept my head down and walked faster, but I was stopped by none other.

"Tiffany?" He turned. My arm was tightly wrapped around Blaise's arm. He approached with a grin, then stopped and stared. I was almost at a loss for words. Zack looked really good. His hair was a little messy, but styled.

"Hello, mate." Blaise greeted. "Blaise O'Riley, and you might be?"

"Zack. I'm a friend of Tiffany's." He said. I don't want to put Blaise under any false pretenses.

"He's my ex." I said honestly, creating a little tension  and awkwardness.

"Yeah, I am. I better be going then."

"Yeah.."

"Alright.. Bye." He walked away from us and continued down the path of the street.

"Sorry about that. I didn't know he'd be here."

"It's alright. He seemed like a friendly bloke, maybe a little shady, but polite."

That's pretty much Zack.

We finally reached the doc. Above us, the silver stars twinkled. The full moon reflected beautifully on the ocean water. It was so peaceful. I didn't want it to end.

Of course, all good things must come to an end. He took me home.

"I had a lot of fun, Blaise." I smiled.

"Well, except for the part when we ran into your ex." He smiled. I laughed.

"Yeah, except for that."

"I hope to see you again."

"You too. Here, do you want my number?"

"Already hand it. Em gave it to me."

"Then why have me meet you so mysteriously? Couldn't you just call me?"

"I suppose I could, but then again, what fun is that?"

"How true. Give me a call whenever, then."

"Sounds good, mate."

"Goodnight, mate." I kindly mocked. He leaned in for a goodnight kiss.

I gave him a light one on the cheek and tightened my grip on the single rose.

"Goodnight."

I turned the door knob and went in. Despite the crazy butterflies in my stomach, it still hurt seeing Zack last night.

Emily and my mom were peeking out the front window, watching him leave.

"Really, guys?" I set my purse down. They jumped a bit.

"Is that the Aussie? He's cute, Tiffany."

"So tell me everything that happened! Where did he take you? Was he cool? Do you like his accent?" Emily bombarded me with questions.

"Yes, yes, and yes."

"The first question wasn't yes or no!"

"Still, yes." I laughed:

"Did he give you that?" My mom studied the pink rose I was still holding.

"Yeah, pretty, isn't it?" I handed it to her. She sniffed in it's lovely fragrance.

"Are you going to see him again?"

"He's gonna call me."

"When?" Emily asked.

"I don't know, whenever he has time? I'm gonna go change and allow you guys to freak out." I went upstairs.

I didn't bother to mention Zack. I knew exactly what they would say. First they'd panic, then they'd remind me of all the bad things he did. Lastly they'd tell me to ultimately follow my heart.

Zack was toxic. I knew that. But something was still drawing me to him.

I hopped in the shower and scrubbed up. I was in the middle of listening to a song and washing my hair when my cellphone rang. I stretched my arm out from the curtain. It slid out of my soapy hands and shot across the bathroom floor.

Dripping wet, I momentarily stepped out of the shower. I tripped stepping out of the tub and fell down. My naked body laid flat against the tile floor. My back ached.

"Shit!" I said when my phone went to voicemail. I quickly checked it.

"Hello, Tiffany. I know I just saw you least than an hour ago but I can't get you off my mind. This may come off as super clingy but, do you want to go to the beach with you tomorrow? It's. Blaise."

I grinned on the floor. I did admire his boldness for calling so early, and I liked him. He made me happy.

You fat bitch, you're forgetting about your disgusting body.

I cringed at the thought of him seeing me in a bathing suit. I was too fat for it, the voice in my head reminded me of that. I couldn't get the image of him being repulsed out of my mind.

I let fear consume me. But happiness dominated that night. I would just wear shorts and a T- shirt and never bother to go swimming.

I called him back after I finished my shower and dried off.

"Blaise. Hi."

"Hey, mate. Afraid I had scared you off."

"Don't think that's possible. I would love to see you tomorrow."