Chapter Ten

I spent the next hour with him, telling him pretty much my life story. How my parents met, how me, my brother and my sister came along. How happy we all were living our old life in Oregon. 

     Alex's story about my father being a vampire hunter still wasn't real for me. My father led a normal life when he was alive. And besides that, vampires didn't exist. But I didn't doubt for a second that there was a group of crazy people after me. I mean, after all, my father was a very safe driver. The crash happened at a four-way intersection with stop signs. It didn't make sense to me.

     If someone did get my father killed, and then tried to make it look like an accident, that meant I was in a lot of trouble and I really had no choice but to stay here with Alex. But who's to say this is the safest place for me? I still felt like I was a lot safer in the hands of my family. My mother would alert the police, and we'd have things sorted out in no time.

     "Are you hungry?" Alex asked, breaking me from my thoughts. I looked up to see him staring down at me, a look of concern on his face. As much as I wanted to refuse any food, it had been a while since I had last eaten. Before I could turn down his offer, my stomach let out a long growl.

     "I'm actually starving," I confessed, pursing my lips. 

     "Good. The medication didn't affect your appetite," he mumbled, looking away from me.

     "Medication?" I questioned. He said he only gave me fluids when I passed out. Wait, is he talking about...

     "Rohypnol," he sighed, looking back at me.

     "Rohypnol?!" I yelled, my eyes widening. "You roofied me?!"

     "Shh," he interjected, putting his hand on my knee. I immediately silenced myself, but gave him a cold glare.

     "You know the circumstances now, you should understand why I had to do it," he said, his expression tense. He was probably waiting for me to throw another tantrum.

     "So you roofied me. That's a date rape drug," I complained. "What else went on while I was knocked out?" Alex's brows furrowed for a few moments, then his eyes went wide.

     "Lena, no, no, no. Nothing happened, I didn't do anything like that, I swear. I didn't put a finger on you-"

     "Technically you put five, when you smacked me multiple times, remember?" I asked, resisting the urge to touch my cheek that had taken the abuse of the past couple hours. His jaw tightened and I could tell he was trying his best to avoid making eye contact with me.

     "I'm sorry," he breathed. "I'm just very touchy when it comes to certain things."

     "Like being called a psycho?" I asked, and he suddenly looked surprised. My body tensed and I prepared for another hit. When he noticed my reaction, his face softened and he looked concerned again.

     "Lena, please don't be afraid of me. I'm no monster," he said, his voice low. I looked at him, a calm silence falling between us. It was impossible to figure this guy out.

     "I'm finding it very difficult to trust you," I said quietly, locking eyes with him. He pursed his lips before sighing.

     "Then let me prove that I'm trustworthy. Come, you said you were hungry," he said, grabbing my hand and pulling me off the bed. Before I could even refuse, we were already through the door. When I realized we were heading through a hallway, I couldn't help but look around.

     The floors were white and grey marble, causing echoes around us with each step. The walls were a deep navy blue, grey moldings accenting it. Cream colored doors lined the hallway, and I found myself wondering which one he was going to lead me through.